Author Topic: Parsing Scene Time on AMD Ryzen Threadripper  (Read 3823 times)

2018-03-28, 15:43:49

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Hi,

i just switched to a new WS with an AMD Ryzen TR 1950x from Intel i7-4770K.

I have this little issue with parsing time when i'm going to re-render something. On the first render it gets calculated in few seconds. But when i cancel the render and hit render again the parsing time takes 1-2mins until it starts to render again. This is pretty annoying when you work with IR.

Is this a known issue on AMD systems?

2018-03-28, 19:19:07
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. I don't think this is related to AMD, since I've had the experience on Intel CPU. But I'm not a dev nor an expert.

2018-03-28, 19:27:14
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not a developer either so my question may not be relevant - what I was wondering is if this only happens when you restart IR within a few seconds of stopping it, so that maybe there is some cleanup going on from stopping the last render, and that has to complete before IR can start again? Or does it happen if you restart IR 5 minutes later even?

Also, is it in every scene, or just particular scenes? And have you been able to test the same scene on the Intel and the AMD, to see if that scene performs fine on one, but not on the other? Have you been able to check processor usage when IR starts up first time and then next time?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-03-28, 20:41:52
Reply #3

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
what I was wondering is if this only happens when you restart IR within a few seconds of stopping it
This was the first i thought too but i tested it already and only the second attempt is slow. So if i cancel the 2. attempt the 3. attempt calculates fast as the 1. one. But randomly i get this issue while working on the scene.

Also, is it in every scene, or just particular scenes?
Every scene and i had no issues on my Intel system. The scene i'm working on worked well with Intel.

2018-03-28, 21:29:42
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Working on two different Intel systems (1 i7 and 1 dual Xeon) and has the exact same experience on both. As it is already said, it's random and seldom reproduce-able. IIRC it's not always the 2. time it happens - might as well happen 4th or 5th time you start the render.

So far I haven't been able to pin it down to anything specific in the scene, nor anything else.

2018-03-29, 10:45:56
Reply #5

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
honestly i dont think this is CPU related at all but simply the IR.

People have been reporting slow downs and extremely frustrating loading times with IR. Myself I've been dealing with the IR and what I've seen is:

*IR works good first time you press it
*breaks and loads rediculously long when pressing it a second time or changing material-properties for example. The frame buffer will be stuck for minutes. Once I just waited it out and after 15 minutes it decided to show and updated the buffer, like it had rendered 50 passes in 1 go.
*quickly press "normal" render mode - cancel when loaded
*press IR again and should go smooth (will break again second time)

So i'm juggling in between IR and normal-render mode all the time

Above that you wanna save alot with IR cause it might freeze your max + I have the issue of when pressing IR and it's doing its thing, when going in a different windows-program, the max window starts bugging out, like the buffer and other windows in max come on-and off, they keep going to the foreground, and are being pushed to the background - back and forth, making you unable to press save, cancel or anything else for that matter. In other words: you can't do anything but force-close the .exe and start over.

I dont know if this is max or corona related atm.

2018-04-04, 21:36:07
Reply #6

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Just tested on another scene with less poly count and the problem isn't noticable..
What i just noticed is that while parsing the scene the ram usage is increasing very slow in render window (if parsing time takes longer than usual).
So there is something with RAM usage causing this problem maybe?
With small scenes you even don't notice this issue while you get that slow down with >35 mil. poly scenes.

2018-04-05, 06:47:00
Reply #7

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
hi Duron, maybe the issue is related with this https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=19906.msg124283#msg124283 someone there said RAM channel affects rendering performance in AMD.. but i'm not so sure about this RAM channel with specific cpu type issue, but its better to wait for Juraj's opinion who knows better about PC hardwares

2018-04-06, 15:51:01
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Everyone with this problem:

Can you please send a report to support@corona-renderer.com with:
-Any scene where this can be observed - you can use this upload and include the file name in your report: https://corona-renderer.com/upload
-Exact steps how to reproduce it (e.g. 1. Go to camera x, 2. Launch IR from render setup window, 3. Stop, 4. Launch IR again, or similar...)
-The exact version of Corona and 3ds Max you are using + CPU model
-How much RAM you have installed and how much RAM is used when the freezes appear
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-19, 11:20:19
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

Has anyone with this problem already contacted us through support@ ?
If so, can you share the ticket numbers with us here?

So far we only have these very brief reports, and we would really love to look into this.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Note to self: id=227377437
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-04-26, 23:25:14
Reply #10

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Hi, small update here. Maybe i got the issue on my system now.

I just had to remove the RAM and reinstall it again. After that the problem seems to be gone now.. Meanwhile i had parsing times over 7 minutes on a high poly scene (~35mil) and i noticed that RAM is increasing pretty slow.. also when i closed max it took several minutes to drop the ram usage.. As i'm working with confidential material i could'nt upload something till now.

But yeah.. since RAM reinstall i didn't had this issue anymore.

cheers
« Last Edit: 2018-04-26, 23:29:54 by Duron »

2018-12-06, 19:21:20
Reply #11

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this still an issue? I have a scene 13mil polys and it takes 17min to parse but 10 minutes to render each frame. All my proxies are stored in memory. Forest pack is not set to edge. And each render node has 128gb ram. I'm not able to upload the scene but I was wondering if there was any new info about the ram? Thanks

2018-12-06, 19:55:24
Reply #12

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Whoops I think my scene has more than 13mil polygons. :) Does anyone have a good workflow or plugin to optimize poly count? Thanks