Author Topic: The NM-Laboratory | Full CGI  (Read 2713 times)

2022-06-01, 20:45:45

Nouvelle Mesure

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

Full CGI project rendered with Corona.
Full behance post: https://www.behance.net/gallery/145063143/The-NM-Laboraty-Full-CGI

The ground was made with our GR01 | NM-Lab System™ (https://www.nouvellemesure-lab.com/collections/nm-lab-system/products/gr01-nm-lab-system)

Thanks for watching

« Last Edit: 2022-06-07, 08:31:39 by Nouvelle Mesure »

2022-06-07, 02:22:13
Reply #2

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, very beautiful design. I like the renders a lot because the design stands out and fits the landscape. The photography is gorgeous as well. This is all about the texture and shape of the architecture. Very inspiring not just because they are rendered images.

Why do you use Corona render for this ? And not for instance Vray, Octane or Unreal Engine. These images would render a lot faster wouldn't they on GPU's. I use Coronarender but mostly because I am on a Mac Studio Ultra with C4D. And always contemplating buying a PC to go GPU with Unreal.

Another question, what can NM-Laboratory do for Mac users with Cinema4D and Coronarender. I see that all assets on the site are for 3DS max users. C4D/mograph and Chaos have plenty good scatter functionality for your great assets. I saw the 3DS demo on YouTube and that would be a piece of cake with C4D as well with a prepared template of your assets. Especially if you already have all the CR materials done.

Cheers Francois
francoisverhoeven.com
« Last Edit: 2022-06-07, 02:35:58 by frv »

2022-06-10, 10:24:25
Reply #3

Nouvelle Mesure

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@frv

Thanks a lot for your comments :)

We use Corona for its intuituveness and functionality. We love the material management, the power of IR, volumetrics and the Corona LightMix that we used a lot for this project.
On the hardware side, we run on a 3990x CPU, extremly powerful and fast.
CPU or GPU, that's a big debate, GPU can be faster but we have to consider the workflow too, not just the rendering time. It's a matter of feel and habit.

NM-Lab System™ is only for 3dsMax because of its dependencies with Forest Pack Pro plug-in

Have a great day :)
« Last Edit: 2022-06-16, 10:58:01 by Nouvelle Mesure »

2022-06-11, 00:11:39
Reply #4

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tx for your answers. Good to know CPU rendering is still hot !
Even though dependencies rely on forest pack you could sell assets as well as for instance Darstellungsart does.

I have to do more with Lightmix for sure. I have a Mac Studio Ultra with 128Gb ram which is a fast system as well. I wonder if its worth to go PC for the threadrippers.  The Mac Studio renders 4000x5000 res images rather well in less than 30 min. Files that have over 100Gb in use at render time.

2022-06-12, 13:20:22
Reply #5

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

We use Corona for its intuitiveness and functionality. We love the material management, the power of IR, volumetric and the Corona LightMix that we used a lot for this project.

I am totally agree with you. Nowadays I need to make some projects in vray and it is really like a battle, especially for arch-viz field...

Because of:

MATERIAL CONVERSION AND WARNING DIALOG:
-Vray has no proper material converter and almost without any options to choose
- no revert of tx to classic textures conversion options
- vray 6 converter is AWFUL
- no normal map invalid gamma warnings
- no possibility to directly select problematic scene parts when warning comes

SHADING:
-no proper translucency, also in latest version
-no front/back map
-no select node
-no simple hue/gamma randomizing
-no displacement values option in material
-no simple UI for switch material with limited functions
-no switch material preview in viewport
-no auto gamma correction for normal maps
-no build in color correction node

LIGHTING:
-no directionality option for light material. also, you cannot use light material with GI in multisub.
-no simple switch between IES and regular lights - they are completely different object
-no simple environment workflow - you always need to use domelights. even sky must be placed in domelight

VFB:
-no albedo channel
-no proper render statistic. the numbers are simply unreadable, because of no division.
-no start rendering directly from ipr. you must abort, then start. *
-no render mask only mode
-no multi region rendering and no dynamic region for progressive +in most cases the regions (and selections) are brighter than original image *
-no simple resume rendering option /you need to activate it in render settings first
-no camera name in VFB + UI is locked and you cannot unlock it.   /After rendering finishes you need to remember what camera name was it.

MATERIAL LIBRARY:
-no good build in material library

CAMERA:
-no 360 degree cameras - only global override *
-no dof override options
-no object visibility control for desired cameras  *
-no tonemapping baked in the cameras *

OTHER:
-no simple "pick" button when you want to exclude/include something - you must manually search the object in the list
-no material preview quality control
-no color picker
-no standalone version / with standalone you can quickly post-process renderings or render the scenes without 3ds max.
-no proper denoiser, default denoiser is almost unusable

BUGS:
- a lot of ancient bugs which are migrating from version to version, in some cases since DECADES.

SUPPORT:
- Good support is extremely important, which is not the case with vray.

*(especially enjoyable when you need to wait 2-4 min each time because of caching the assets of big project)

and so on and so on....

You guys at Corona Team simply rocks!
« Last Edit: 2022-11-17, 21:17:27 by brr »

2022-06-13, 12:48:31
Reply #6

parisa.pn

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's amazing. Well done

2022-06-16, 11:07:36
Reply #7

Nouvelle Mesure

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@frv
We also sell assets, for NM-Lab System™ the power of this collection is the easy of use and the scattering automation

@brr
everything is well summarized :)

@parisa.pn
Thank you !

2022-06-17, 00:30:43
Reply #8

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see the assets on your site. But for me to extract them from 3DS max or FBX to C4D is just a bit much.
I can imagine for you to sell these assets to a wider audience including C4D users is not a major project. Scattering is the least of my concern. The tools for scattering in C4D and Corona are great and super easy to use. I would not pay actually for pre-scattering. Sets of C4D/CR assets I can dump in Chaos scatter would be super.