Author Topic: HDRI environment workflow - Lightmix problem  (Read 1502 times)

2022-02-20, 18:17:33

I3ordo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
 Greetings,
Why does the environmental HDRI's intensity adjustments in lightmix; affect the direct visiblity/ref/refr overrides?
Ideally, i would like to adjust the light coming from the HDRI, while using the same hdri as a background.

, adjust the incoming light from the HDRI while retain the overridden background image. I can do this already but when it comes to light mixing, the HDRI channel boosts the luminance of the overrides..., that is somehow until i bake the changes to the scene, after baking the scene, the changes revert.

Is this a limitation of how light mix works? can it be remedied with updates?

I put a 8-16k spherical HDRI to Corona's scene environment
Color correct the HDRI via gamma adjustment = The hdri looks washed out or something not pleasant eventually
Override the ref/refrdirect visibility with the same HDRI but without the gamma adjustment so the

2022-02-20, 19:05:03
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You need to plug background map through CoronaTonemapControl node and uncheck affect by exposure and tone mapping.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-02-20, 22:09:16
Reply #2

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I didn't know there is a workaround, i will give it a try.

Another similar problem I encountered today is that if you are using a CoronaSky map as an environment override in Reflection slot (let's say you use a Coronasky with higher altitude to get darker sky/reflections), then you may get a sharp line in a vertical surface (for example your walls), where the two different reflection values meet. It's as if the Coronasky map functions as a dome and not as a sphere. Corona 7 here.

2022-02-20, 22:53:53
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I didn't know there is a workaround, i will give it a try.

It's not a workaround, it's intended workflow.

Another similar problem I encountered today is that if you are using a CoronaSky map as an environment override in Reflection slot (let's say you use a Coronasky with higher altitude to get darker sky/reflections), then you may get a sharp line in a vertical surface (for example your walls), where the two different reflection values meet. It's as if the Coronasky map functions as a dome and not as a sphere. Corona 7 here.

I'm not sure if Corona sky is supposed to be used as override, but you can open a bug report and provide some images, screens and/or scene with reproducible issue.

2022-02-21, 01:38:35
Reply #4

I3ordo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You need to plug background map through CoronaTonemapControl node and uncheck affect by exposure and tone mapping.
tone map control map is nice to have but have you restart render so...and this cancels out both interactive rendering and lightmixing in one go...

i mean if there was a domelight, it would be automatically excluded from other GI sources would solve this problem... have the dome light act as a backplate and not affected by the GI from the HDRi...

or maybe not, since i will be seeing the backplate through the refraction channel and that is understandbly affected by tone mapping and exposure...

my current solution to all this was decreasing the exposure of the BG (that are set on overrides) but that also meant the refreshing of the interactive render during  lightmixing, using a tonemap controlled map as bg(direct vis+ref+refr) seems like the better choice here.

2022-02-21, 09:52:56
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
tone map control map is nice to have but have you restart render so...and this cancels out both interactive rendering and lightmixing in one go...

Interactive rendering needs to be restarted, yes, but this should not cancel (reset?) any lightmix adjustments. If it does, then it is critical issue and should be reported ASAP.