Author Topic: Disabling distributed rendering - possible?  (Read 1668 times)

2021-12-22, 22:14:16

sszyszka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SebastianSzyszka.com
Hi all,

Is there a way to turn off distributed rendering when using Team Render? Sometimes I want to spread multiple large stills individually across machines rather than have multiple machines contribute to one image. Haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks,

-Seb

2021-12-22, 23:17:51
Reply #1

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If they're in the same file just animate between cameras with the stage object. Team render sends individual frames for animations, but buckets for stills.

2021-12-23, 00:16:00
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmmm Not sure why you need to do this, but I think a workaround (for multiple scene files) would be to bring up the Team Render Machines list and turn all off except one. Launch an image to Team Render. Open next scene, enable a different render client. Launch that one using Team Render. I think this should do the trick.

There is no button to do this since the point of distributed rendering is to, well, distribute the load of rendering. Are you experience longer render times if you use TR for one image? I know there are network issues that can arise if it gets overwhelmed.

2021-12-23, 05:21:57
Reply #3

sszyszka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SebastianSzyszka.com
Yes, in some scenes the benefit of distributed rendering is really small, or worse the render takes longer than it does on one machine. For the most part I've learned to optimize for my particular network setup to avoid these issues, but they do occasionally creep up.

But the primary reason to do this is that sometimes getting four 6-hour images at once is better than running them one at a timed having each take 2 hours. A frequent scenario I run into is a queue of let's say 30 images that I run overnight. I check the server after being away from it for 12+ hours to find that all of my slaves except one or two hung, destroying any DR gains and keeping other images from being done.

Long story short, I don't think it should be all or nothing. I've often been saved by V-Ray's checkbox that allows me to disable DR.

2021-12-26, 23:25:32
Reply #4

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@sszyszka I totally know what you mean. Is your situation that you have each render in different project files? Did you see my idea about only using one client for each?