Author Topic: Sorry for the basic question: How to build a network?  (Read 1816 times)

2021-12-15, 18:21:51

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Firstly I want to start with an apology for what must be the most basic question of what is possibly a long winded answer and I don't expect any lengthy reply. I do ask however if anyone is able to share a link, video, PDF etc of really a step by step guide on building a render network, from the hardware (not so fussed about the specs used in the nodes etc, just more so what is needed for it to work) and then the guide of putting it all together so it is up and running with all machines communicating.

Now I appreciate other people may be wanting to know how to do something similar so what I will do is post a link to a page which I have found quite helpful, although its still not "hand holding" enough for me to understand what exactly I need and to do to set up a small network.

https://www.cgdirector.com/how-to-build-your-own-render-farm/

My situation is that right now I am not desperate to buy a small render network for myself, however with things hopefully moving in a positive way I may need to look outside the realms of just locally rendering my work overnight on my current machine.

Ideally if I could come up with a system where I can add more machines in the future that could link up to a server (essentially your typical business model I guess) then that would be great, although perhaps for a short term fix a way of just connecting another render node/workstation to my machine to pick up a job etc that would be good to know too.

Thanks in advance :)

PS I have tried searching the forum but it seems that everyone asking the network question already knows more than I do so their questions are not basic enough for me...