Author Topic: Deadline 10.1.17.4 3ds max SMTD jobs failing - anyone else?  (Read 9858 times)

2021-12-17, 17:38:07
Reply #30

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Just tested the patch were Maru is referring to and I can confirm the issue (I had so far) is solved.

2021-12-23, 17:30:29
Reply #31

edwin.amsler

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey everyone. I'm Edwin. I've been Thinkbox's support department since December 10, 2010 and I've worked with the same team from before we founded the company. This problem has been rougher on the community than we realized and I think our difference in support methods has caused a delay and I want to make sure we're doing better.

At the moment, our forums are community driven and we rely instead on support tickets and phone calls as our eyes and ears as to what's happening in the community. I have initiatives to change this, but there are a few things to do before that happens.

That said, we should *never* drop a support case and we have mechanisms and tools to prevent that from happening. @alexyork if you could e-mail your ticket id to me at amsler@amazon.com I'll dig in and find out what happened. You may be enjoying Pulze now but I take this seriously and want to find out what happened. The same goes for anyone else here, and if anything is being missed our phone number is +1-866-419-0283 (5-9 American central time). It's on the website as well.

Now, this problem in particular was a hard one to narrow down. As you've all discovered (which helped us finally fix this problem) it was how we were parsing the "corona_gi_giCache_file" parameter that is sent along with the job, and everything works fine until that's set to a file path. The fact that a dev reached out was helpful but we need to congratulate johan on December 3rd who truly helped crack the case.

To dig a little deeper, we have code that pulls render settings at submission and re-applies them at render time. That drives a powerful feature to allow users to make renderer-specific tweaks to a scene without re-opening Max. The issue came up because we had the wrong data type mapping on whether a parameter should be parsed (for numbers) or not (for text, file paths, etc). When that code tries to parse a file path, it throws the entirely unhelpful "Syntax error: at keyword parameter, expected <factor>" error which had us confused for so long. Correcting the mapping fixed the bug that came in with the new Corona 6 properties.

I appreciate the help of both communities here and in our forums. It's time my team offer the same level of support there as we do in our ticket and phone systems.

2021-12-24, 14:53:12
Reply #32

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi Edwin,

thanks for your reply in this thread. It would be great if you and your team could keep an eye on the Deadline forum to sort out this kind of issues.
Although I can image it will take a lot of your time browsing to all the posts over there.
But hey I am still a Deadline fan. Keep up the good work!

Merry Christmas

2021-12-28, 17:03:44
Reply #33

edwin.amsler

• Users
    • View Profile
Agreed. Again, still some things I need to sort out there. One dimension I'm struggling with is fair balance of time/issues on my team. We'll experiment as we do. :)