Author Topic: Corona Renderer 8 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 149508 times)

2021-12-17, 20:28:44
Reply #285

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi, I wanted some help on Corona Decals, I'm not able to separate the displacement from the base of the decals, like for me to use decals the material applied to it can't have displacement? I confess that I looked for tutorials on the internet explaining about the tool and I didn't find anything

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking for, but with decals you have pretty extensive control over displacement. You can plug displacement map to either base, or decal material and only according parts of the material will be displaced. If you plug displacement to both, the base and decal, then you have an option to choose wether decal's displacement will replace base's displacement, or if it will be added on top of it. Nearly every combination is possible.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-12-17, 22:57:03
Reply #286

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
And just a note that there are no tutorials to be found because Corona 8 is in development - tutorials can't be made until a feature is finalized, and will usually only appear after the official release (as otherwise UI, feature set, etc. may still change).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-12-17, 23:35:43
Reply #287

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much everyone for the feedback, I'll really have to poke around here to try to better understand how to use it!

2021-12-18, 00:14:57
Reply #288

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
how do I make the base material not affect my decals? Like I have a material in the applied plane and another material in the decals, I want the displacement of the base material not to affect the displacement of the decals, who both have their projection of individual displacment, I didn't want these stone markings to affect the earth's displacemet, this is a test I'm doing to try to better understand how this tool works.

2021-12-18, 10:42:47
Reply #289

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You need to turn on replace base displacement in decal object. Notice that both, base and decal materials has to have displacement, otherwise this option won't have any effect.

2021-12-21, 09:12:08
Reply #290

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
You need to turn on replace base displacement in decal object. Notice that both, base and decal materials has to have displacement, otherwise this option won't have any effect.
We're working on a fix for this one.

(Report ID=CRMAX-1161)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-12-21, 10:24:40
Reply #291

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I though it's by design - if there's no displacement in either materials, then there's nothing to replace, or i'm wrong?

2021-12-21, 19:45:19
Reply #292

Yuriy Bochkaryov

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Home Page
does anyone know why this happens - if the background is dark, then small elements, needles are visible
BUT if the background is light, then they partially disappear, the overall volume visually becomes smaller.
this problem has been for a long time, but before I did not pay attention to it, until I saw that my trees were left without needles and this became a problem.

2021-12-22, 09:24:29
Reply #293

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
I though it's by design - if there's no displacement in either materials, then there's nothing to replace, or i'm wrong?
Hey,

What would you expect in the following scenario? You have a base material with displacement, your decal doesn't have disaplacement but you have replace base displacement checked.

I attached some screenshots to demonstrate, I'm interested to know what you think.

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-12-22, 10:24:04
Reply #294

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
does anyone know why this happens - if the background is dark, then small elements, needles are visible
BUT if the background is light, then they partially disappear, the overall volume visually becomes smaller.
this problem has been for a long time, but before I did not pay attention to it, until I saw that my trees were left without needles and this became a problem.

Hi Yuriy!

Thanks for mentiong this behaviour.
I have the same problem for a while now and I am curious to know what the dev team thinks about.

Cheers,

Dionysios -

2021-12-22, 10:33:02
Reply #295

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wish we have an option for decals - "displacement only" which would allow to turn off the influence of color and relf/refr (in other words disabling direct visibility) of the decal material, leaving only the effect of the displacement, is this teoretically possible?

2021-12-22, 10:43:39
Reply #296

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hey,

What would you expect in the following scenario? You have a base material with displacement, your decal doesn't have disaplacement but you have replace base displacement checked.

I attached some screenshots to demonstrate, I'm interested to know what you think.

Rowan

I think that current behaviour is logical. If i would want decal to cancel base mesh displacement, i would simply plug Corona color node into decal material's displacement slot, but i also see that your suggested fix could look more logical and expected to other users.

2022-01-12, 13:05:09
Reply #297

Neeraj Gajjar

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Is someone else facing this problem after turning off cast shadow of sheer curtain as shown in attached image.

i am using 3ds max 2022.3 & latest DB

2022-01-12, 17:44:01
Reply #298

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi,

Is someone else facing this problem after turning off cast shadow of sheer curtain as shown in attached image.

i am using 3ds max 2022.3 & latest DB

This is an old bug existing since many versions back, it is not related to Corona 8.
You can find it here under "black highlights" - https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402699661585

If you need help rendering your image without these artifacts, please contact us here: https://corona-renderer.com/link/contact-support
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-01-12, 19:40:44
Reply #299

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Or you can simply use rayswitcher material and leave the GI slot empty.