Author Topic: corona cinema4d on "apple silicon"?  (Read 17660 times)

2021-01-26, 18:23:55
Reply #30

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As noted, you can use it already, using Rosetta, which means you don't have to sit idle with that laptop in the meantime :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-01-30, 23:27:15
Reply #31

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just did and it runs fine indeed. tx

2021-02-06, 23:10:03
Reply #32

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@frv How does everything run, considering it's running through Rosetta? Viewport? Render times, etc.?

2021-02-07, 15:58:57
Reply #33

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I did not really render a project but did some tests with Laubwerk trees. And it actually did fine under Rosetta. I think slightly faster than my 32Gb iMac i7 from late 2015.

2021-02-07, 16:25:43
Reply #34

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did just a quick test with Laubwerk trees, 21 trees in total.
The image is 1280x720
Computing GI took a long time though.
About 750 % CPU usage. The M1 does not do hyper threading.
About 30Gb of virtualised ram.

See attached image for the stats.
Macbook does not really get warm even after 10 min rendering. It actually keeps rendering just fine while I am typing this message.

For me doing some work at home in the evening, testing scenes, materials and so on the MacBook seems to do fine.
Wonder why computing GI took a little longer than what I am used to on my iMac.

2021-02-07, 16:38:44
Reply #35

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
C4D crashed the MacBook when I tried zooming in for a new render.
Hopefully Laubwerk and Corona will not let us wait for long for native versions. It took Laubwerk a year to update Surface Spread for R22.
If your on a Mac and doing archviz, C4D, Corona and Laubwerk are a great combination. But I always feel that there is a mismatch with updates, version, OS etc. I am in the market for a much better workflow considering all the hassle keeping stuff tied together.

2021-02-08, 19:09:09
Reply #36

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What's the advantage of using Surface spread vs. Mograph Cloners set to surface?

2021-02-10, 00:44:42
Reply #37

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Off topic but Surface Spread is a lot easier and quicker to set up. I have sets of Surface Spread templates with ground cover and plants. Very easy to scale and randomise. I don't use C4D daily so I tend to forget Mograph settings much quicker than the straightforward Surface Spread settings.

2021-02-16, 00:40:57
Reply #38

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@frv That makes sense. I would add that in the past, I've used Cloners in a similar way. Either by just swapping out the objects to be cloned, or copying that Cloner into another scene and by just replacing the content, you can reuse the settings that were adjusted and perfected previously. Same thing really.

2021-02-16, 09:04:23
Reply #39

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
C4D crashed the MacBook when I tried zooming in for a new render.
Hopefully Laubwerk and Corona will not let us wait for long for native versions. It took Laubwerk a year to update Surface Spread for R22.
If your on a Mac and doing archviz, C4D, Corona and Laubwerk are a great combination. But I always feel that there is a mismatch with updates, version, OS etc. I am in the market for a much better workflow considering all the hassle keeping stuff tied together.

Hello,

attaching a bugreport or the problematic scene is always appreciated and saves 95% of the time investigating the issue.
If that's not for some reason possible, please, try to include some steps, dependencies, corona/c4d versions, OS versions.

Thank you,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-02-19, 22:35:02
Reply #40

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your right about sending a crash report to help out.
I did not experience such a crash after that one. I normally also do not really do crash reports since I am not that frequently using corona. I never know when its the software or me at fault . The latter usually the case.

I am working with my m1 laptop a little more these days. If there anything to report I will let you know. I did notice the fonts of the corona VFB like Tone Mapping and LUT do not match the rest of the fonts on my m1.

« Last Edit: 2021-03-02, 00:38:59 by frv »

2021-03-30, 08:12:04
Reply #41

avre001

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi corona-Team,

are you planning to support apple's switch to their own cpu-archictecture?

I'm just wondering how it will afffect the already bad 3D-situation on macs.
At least Maxon did confirm they will support Cinema4d on apple silcon asap.
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=32763.0