Author Topic: Caustics playground!  (Read 45314 times)

2019-05-28, 11:19:25
Reply #105

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I spent some time today testing Corona 4 release candidate. I must say I'm in love with this release, can't wait when it's officially available.
Attached the image taken from under the pool of water, testing caustics and learning Grow Fx.
Are volumetrics not supported while using caustics yet? Out of curiosity I rendered version without caustics enabled and volumetric pass looks completely different.
Anyways, I'm amazed how quickly corona handled those!

The new caustics solver does not work with volumetric media yet. Caustics in volumes will be resolved using the classic path tracing, which will be a loooot slower and probably almost non-visible.

By the way, is the camera placed underwater here? If so, the IOR should be different - you should create a Corona material with refraction level 1 and refraction IOR of 1,33 and use it as the global volume material. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-05-28, 11:53:05
Reply #106

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The new caustics solver does not work with volumetric media yet. Caustics in volumes will be resolved using the classic path tracing, which will be a loooot slower and probably almost non-visible.

By the way, is the camera placed underwater here? If so, the IOR should be different - you should create a Corona material with refraction level 1 and refraction IOR of 1,33 and use it as the global volume material. :)

Thanks Maru!
And no camera is not under water, idea behind this was just to have a thin water surface on top of the glass to achieve nice caustics penetrating the well.
But what you proposed sounds cool, I will use your tip and do the underwater version later today ;)

2019-06-02, 09:03:27
Reply #107

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm playing with Caustics and finding lots of fireflys that do not want to go away.
Heres a test with a Hdri map with the enable caustics environment from the render settings

2019-06-15, 00:24:04
Reply #108

Feodor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Found another limitation in caustic, it does not work on hair and fur.

2019-06-18, 12:27:22
Reply #109

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm playing with Caustics and finding lots of fireflys that do not want to go away.
Heres a test with a Hdri map with the enable caustics environment from the render settings
Could you share this scene with us? That would really help us understand the issue.

Found another limitation in caustic, it does not work on hair and fur.
We will definitely look into this!

2019-06-27, 06:23:03
Reply #110

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could you share this scene with us? That would really help us understand the issue.

Do you still need it? If so I'll cut down the scene, should I PM you a link?

2019-07-02, 15:11:15
Reply #111

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Yes, that would be great. We are always interested in user scenes. You can use this private uploader and then let me know which upload method you used and what was the file name: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2019-07-02, 23:17:45
Reply #112

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Maru,
Scene uploaded and PM sent, File was to big for the Corona Uploader so I used onedrive.

cheers

Yes, that would be great. We are always interested in user scenes. You can use this private uploader and then let me know which upload method you used and what was the file name: https://corona-renderer.com/upload

2019-07-03, 09:36:27
Reply #113

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
( internal note: Javadevil persistent splotches: id=370421839 )

2019-08-29, 14:54:18
Reply #114

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

The latest daily (27.08.2019) shows huge improvement in this scene. You can get it here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
Please let us know if you can confirm our findings.

2019-09-07, 17:13:59
Reply #115

annkos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys a just for fun test with caustics..the animation quality is a bit crap fo now

link

2019-09-17, 16:08:54
Reply #116

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Literally in every second scene, caustics cant become clean and remains noisy regardless of the number of passes.
Is it possible to denoise the Cshading_Caustics element with Nvidia denoiser separately and use Corona HQ denoising for other passes? im pretty tired from using photoshop smudge tool every time)

2019-09-23, 18:00:13
Reply #117

zelyonyi

• Users
    • View Profile
here is a quick test.

2019-09-23, 22:20:17
Reply #118

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Literally in every second scene, caustics cant become clean and remains noisy regardless of the number of passes.
Is it possible to denoise the Cshading_Caustics element with Nvidia denoiser separately and use Corona HQ denoising for other passes? im pretty tired from using photoshop smudge tool every time)

Observing the same thing here. Every other scene basically is too tough for the caustic solver to resolve. I'm talking 400+ passes to at least get something usable. :\
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-09-23, 22:25:02
Reply #119

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Be sure to send in such scenes where at all possible :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us