Author Topic: Caustics playground!  (Read 45370 times)

2019-05-09, 14:52:48
Reply #90

clemens_at

• Active Users
    • View Profile
are .ies lights supported with caustics?

2019-05-09, 15:02:48
Reply #91

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
are .ies lights supported with caustics?

AFAIK any sort of Corona Light should be supported with caustics, whatever parameters you give it (e.g. enabled an IES profile). Does your experience suggest otherwise? If so, we'd love to hear about it!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-05-09, 15:58:19
Reply #92

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
was the fix for larger scenes included in the daily build on the 7th? dont see anything about it in the changelog

Hi,

It was not in that build (7th), it will be coming soon though.

Thanks,

Rowan

Thanks Rowan!

2019-05-10, 10:57:35
Reply #93

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Build 2019-05-09 (sorry, it took us a bit longer than expected to test this build)
  • Fixes and improvements of the fast caustics solver
    • Fixed issue when caustics disappear after adding new light sources
    • Fixed issue when caustics disappear after adding large geometry
    • Caustics are now influenced by bump mapping
    • Caustics now work with rayswitch material
  • Added fisheye projection type to CoronaCamera

Caustics fixes are in the latest daily. Looking forward to your feedback :)

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-05-10, 14:19:36
Reply #94

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
sorry, it took us a bit longer than expected to test this build
You guys are the most consistently active / interactive devs I have ever witnessed. Literally nothing to say sorry for :]
Feels almost like this situation...
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-05-10, 17:17:53
Reply #95

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry, it took us a bit longer than expected to test this build
You guys are the most consistently active / interactive devs I have ever witnessed. Literally nothing to say sorry for :]
Feels almost like this situation...

+1 to this, the Corona team is amazingly fast and effective.  It's a pleasure to keep an eye on the daily build thread and just watch the features and fixes roll in.  I remember the day Optix integration came out...I was giddy all day, hehe.

2019-05-14, 14:39:20
Reply #96

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization
I'm testing caustics on a quite large scene with a lot of glass and reflective materials. In this scene there are 3 houses and a lot of scattered vegetation.

The first test was not good. I turned off the grass scatter to try to improve the speed.

Second test with a simplified scene, just one house, some trees and the ground was on.
With this scene it started to work quite well.

The main problem that I see is that with large scenes with a lot of metallic or glass materials, the computation can be quite slow. If we can have a button to deactivate reflective caustics from materials that are not important, maybe we can have faster caustics.
The rayswitch option is not the best one, especially when working with a lot of different shaders.

2019-05-14, 16:38:28
Reply #97

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Would definitely agree that having this available as a simple check-box in materials would be fantastic. That way you can limit the effect only to what you need, such as pool water, and keep computation simplified.

For us I can see this very much being a love-it/hate-it thing for certain clients. The more control we have over where they are generated from/to and compositing options the better this will be. No, it's not realistic, but some clients just insist...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2019-05-14, 18:54:47
Reply #98

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree with that but there must be overrides to turn caustics for everything then. Just try to not flip the issue on the other side of the coin.

Caustics for everything (two separate options for both reflective and refractive ones) or only selected ones (in material properties)

2019-05-14, 19:17:56
Reply #99

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would definitely agree that having this available as a simple check-box in materials would be fantastic. That way you can limit the effect only to what you need, such as pool water, and keep computation simplified.

For us I can see this very much being a love-it/hate-it thing for certain clients. The more control we have over where they are generated from/to and compositing options the better this will be. No, it's not realistic, but some clients just insist...

QFA. Also, it's needed in cases like the one posted above where you run into super-long render times. That alone would make it a much needed option.

2019-05-19, 19:53:53
Reply #100

quadrays

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My tech demo shown on Total Chaos 2019
Thanks for co-operation to TomG which helped a lot with making experiment more live and with the hardware side of this production :)

2019-05-22, 09:35:45
Reply #101

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
My tech demo shown on Total Chaos 2019
Thanks for co-operation to TomG which helped a lot with making experiment more live and with the hardware side of this production :)

After a few moves, it would be nice if the prism rotated or something. Nice portfolio entry tho.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2019-05-22, 10:07:48
Reply #102

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
After a few moves, it would be nice if the prism rotated or something. Nice portfolio entry tho.

Yeah, but that would mean much more rendering ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-05-22, 13:58:22
Reply #103

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Yeah, but that would mean much more rendering ;]

Yeah, time was limited before the conference presentation, and there were lots of other things to render too :) There is in fact a lot you could do with this to create cool "abstract art", it's great fun!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-05-28, 01:49:16
Reply #104

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I spent some time today testing Corona 4 release candidate. I must say I'm in love with this release, can't wait when it's officially available.
Attached the image taken from under the pool of water, testing caustics and learning Grow Fx.
Are volumetrics not supported while using caustics yet? Out of curiosity I rendered version without caustics enabled and volumetric pass looks completely different.
Anyways, I'm amazed how quickly corona handled those!

« Last Edit: 2019-05-28, 11:01:05 by cexec »