Author Topic: texture maps for distribution and other settings not working  (Read 1654 times)

2023-11-19, 02:14:36

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed that setting texture maps like C4D noise for distribution is not working. Sometimes it does but mostly it does nothing. At least I do not see any thing happen in the viewport when changing settings for the type or scale of the noise.

C4D 2024
daily build
m1 Mac Studio

2023-11-22, 17:50:31
Reply #1

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Previous project a 3Gb file, the maps for distribution did nothing but with this quick test all worked fine.

2023-11-28, 18:58:01
Reply #2

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
RC3
OSX

Problem seems to have gone. At times settings noise patterns does not make a difference although maybe just a matter of doing a restart.
RC3 seems to be a rather solid release. I haven't had a crash all afternoon doing a lot of scatter work with IR on. It's so nice to be able to play with the scattered densities.

2023-11-29, 11:18:00
Reply #3

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi there, thanks for testing and letting us know. As for the noise maps, currently, simple UVW shaders such as noise should be used in UV(2D) mode for it to work correctly.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-11-29, 12:53:18
Reply #4

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks,
That must be it then since I usually work with cubic mappings. Will try to stick to UV for now.

I scatter now single leaves of grass instread of clumps. Graswald provides excellent assets for that. Like this I no longer need to edge-trim.
Not sure if this is specific for Coronarender but I love to edit sets of Corona materials and Chaos Scatters by selecting them all and edit without the need to edit them separately. I tried Redshift but it seems a hassle compared to Corona.
Corona scatter truly makes a big difference. I hope it's going feature gradiant dimming closer to the edges of a surface. Generating vegetation is so much better than placing assets with a mouse. For Blender Graswald provides assets with preset scatter settings and sells them as easily editable environments. Pity Blender is to slow for Archviz at any larger scale.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-29, 13:04:03 by frv »

2023-11-29, 13:05:57
Reply #5

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Am I right to see that noise distribution is per surface and not per square setting ?

2023-12-22, 00:15:52
Reply #6

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I noticed that large surfaces do not interact well with the distribution/scale (noise)maps. I don't see any effect in the viewport (like boxes reshuffling ) when I try to edit and rescale noise maps like dents that work well on smaller areas.

I wonder how scatter uses these maps, at what scale relative to the surface they are projected on. I would love to have better control of density and shapes of density in terms of scale and distribution of scattered instances. Somehow I am not getting any noticeable effect on larger fields of grass and wildflowers (20x50 meters for instance) that otherwise get great results on smaller areas. I have only tried rescaled noise maps so far like 200% dents and so on.
Maybe a little more info in detail on how these maps work inside CR would help.

2023-12-29, 18:38:50
Reply #7

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After some more experimenting I found that best is to add a UV tag to a surface before applying a material with a cubic mapping. Once a UV tag is applied the Scatter noise and image maps for distribution will simply fit on the chosen surface. Iow stretch to fit. That's works. You can't scale maps by percentage or dimensions.