Author Topic: Corona crashing when rendering in 3ds Max  (Read 1034 times)

2023-09-19, 18:51:27

neobuller

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My 3ds Max scene has been crashing every time I'm trying to render it using Corona render. I'm attaching the dump file as somebody may be able to help me use it to figure out what is going wrong. I'm relatively new to Corona so am unsure what exactly is the problem. Thank you

2023-09-19, 21:31:12
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it with just one particular scene? If yes, Try merging the entire .max file into a new scene and see if it still happens.

Does it still happen when all the materials are replaced with a generic material in material override? I

If it's still happening then it's geometry related and then just try importing half of the scene until you find whats causing the issue.

2023-09-20, 11:41:57
Reply #2

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, thanks for sharing the minidump. Which version of Corona and 3ds Max you are using?

Would be possible to share the problematic scene as well?

https://upload.chaos.com/d/qa_corona@corona-renderer.com

2023-09-21, 18:34:08
Reply #3

neobuller

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nazar, I am using Corona 10 (hotfix 1). I've uploaded the file at the provided link so you can check it out for for yourself. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: 2023-09-21, 18:59:28 by neobuller »

2023-09-21, 18:51:54
Reply #4

neobuller

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi mferster, I gave your tips a go. I was able to merge all of my assets/geometry into a new scene but it left me without materials. I tried material override in the original scene and it rendered both a still image and the beginnings (this is more than before) of an animations frames. So does this mean it's a material issue? And how would I go about pinpointing that? (editing to add that the animation render crashed even with material override after a few frames rendered)

Here is a link to the scene if you think you'd have an easier time looking at it yourself:

moderator's note: the link was removed, because the file contains commercial third-party assets that not allowed to be shared publicly
« Last Edit: 2023-09-23, 14:55:53 by romullus »

2023-09-21, 23:17:33
Reply #5

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, I would look, but unfortunately I don't have the latest 3ds max installed, only have 2022 at the moment.

Merging into a new scene left you with no materials on your objects??? or just in your material editor? If it's just thematerials in the material editor, then they are still present in your scene you would just have to eye dropper each one again. but if it renders fine after merging and doesn't crash I think that is a price worth paying.

Strange behaviour indeed though.

Have you tried using any cleaner/prune scene scripts to purge any excess junk from your scenes? you may have some excess of animation layers among other things that could be messing things up.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-21, 23:22:25 by mferster »

2023-09-22, 08:31:03
Reply #6

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You didnt attach any of the textures, did you relink them in your merged scene?

Looks like it renders ok here, no crash so far. How much RAM do you have? Are you using lots of 4k textures?

Also looks like you have compression turned on, try turn that off ive had issues with that in the past.

2023-09-23, 06:10:05
Reply #7

neobuller

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi James,

Thanks for taking the time to look at the file. The textures were attached on my end, so I assumed they would be on your end as well. Pardon my ignorance with the program, but how would I ensure the textures are attached next time? I've uploaded the original file here for you to look at if you have the time:

Hopefully the textures will show up in that one. Also, about the compression, are you referring to highlight compression in tone mapping? I don't believe there are too many 4k textures in the scene.

moderator's note: the link was removed, because the file contains commercial third-party assets that not allowed to be shared publicly
« Last Edit: 2023-09-23, 14:55:33 by romullus »

2023-09-23, 10:13:49
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're sharing bare 3ds Max file without any textures. 3ds Max does not store external files, such as textures internally in a scene file, you need to zip max file and all textures and share that zip file. The easiest way to collect everything in one file, is to use archive feature in 3ds Max.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-09-23, 10:44:35
Reply #9

neobuller

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi romullus,

Thanks for pointing that out. Here's the archived file:

moderator's note: the link was removed, because the file contains commercial third-party assets that not allowed to be shared publicly.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-23, 14:54:38 by romullus »

2023-09-23, 13:53:50
Reply #10

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First when I render your scene it crashed. However it looks like your paths are too long. It doesnt exceed 256 characters but when I dumped all your external files into one folder it worked.

You can use a program called suction to do this. You put all the files into one folder, then drop that folder into the suction window. It puts all child files into that folder, effectively removing all subfolders and only keeping files which shortens your path locations (attached).

When I said compression I was talking about save file compression (attached). Doesnt look like its an issue for this scene however.
« Last Edit: 2023-09-23, 13:59:38 by James Vella »

2023-09-23, 20:58:04
Reply #11

neobuller

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi James,

I followed the suction tutorial you sent and so far have been able to render without the scene crashing. Thanks a lot, man! This has been a lifesaver.

2023-09-24, 08:15:18
Reply #12

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No worries, glad to help.