Author Topic: Best Max system units for Corona?  (Read 1313 times)

2022-09-21, 02:42:28

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there any advantage of using one Max system unit over the other when working with Corona?

2022-09-21, 09:26:53
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

There is no difference for Corona.
System units just result in change of accuracy for dimensions, when working on large, far from origin scenes.
System units are usually used to quickly scale the scenes.

Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2022-09-21, 15:55:04
Reply #2

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool! Thanks for the info.

By the way, I'm not getting notifications from Corona forum via email anymore. Any idea why this could be happening or how to fix it?

2022-09-22, 15:56:07
Reply #3

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool! Thanks for the info.

By the way, I'm not getting notifications from Corona forum via email anymore. Any idea why this could be happening or how to fix it?

Have you pressed the "Notify" button at the top right of the thread?
It should work. Let me know if you still don't receive email (make sure they don't end up at spam).
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2022-09-22, 15:58:34
Reply #4

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Same here.

2022-09-22, 17:19:54
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We are investigating the forum notifications issue.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-23, 01:58:08
Reply #6

DPS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you for example always work on residential interiors, or products etc, then mm would be a good system unit.

But if you work on large exterior masterplans then you'll run into viewport issues when navigating your scene if system units are set to mm (and vice versa). So m in this case would be better.

If you work on both very large and very small scenes then somewhere in between is better, so I use cm.

Inches in theory would be better as it's even more 'in-between' mm & m, but I tried it a long time ago and it created some stupid problems so you should definitely avoid mixing imperial system units with metric scene units.
Specs: AMD 1950X, Aorus Gaming 7 x399, 64GB RAM, 1080ti. Win10, Max 2017, Corona 1.7.3

2022-09-23, 10:47:36
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
People who use mm as system units (invisible units used for calculations) belong to 7th hell ;- ). It causes so much issues when you buy 3rd party models and the Hair&Fur and such system units dependent system (as they have no units themselves to translate) go haywire.

Not even architects use mm these days but those would still be display units, not system units. If anyone needs to set anything in milimeters, just use Display units. Set System units one time when you install 3dsMax and forget about it.

System units theoretically never have to be touched, and the default inches on which 3dsMax was unfortunately built are just fine (there are many parameters in Max where inches are hardcoded in). I change them to CM because imperial units also belong to hell.
Having either CM or Inches as system units don't cause any artifacts whether you work on anthills or metropolises.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-23, 11:02:40
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
People who use mm as system units (invisible units used for calculations) belong to 7th hell ;- ).

So basically all the Russians. For some reasons (historical maybe?) they seem don't want to recognize any other units than mm. 3ds Max is really bad at converting between different system units, from exploding modifiers like chamfer, to almost every single material, or map (real-world mapping huh?), there are so many things that could will go wrong. Basically, the best system units to use are those in which majority of your assets are saved to. If you buy/download everything from 3dsky, then you're condemned to use mm forever :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-23, 11:24:57
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes it's Eastern thing :- ) All the 3dSky models.

But I also think it's mild OCD all us 3D nerds have. It's feels nice and right to have parity in things. So while there is absolutely no logic and relationship between display units and system units, looks like most people intentionally set them 1:1.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-24, 16:10:26
Reply #10

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sounds like I'll probably be OK by just leaving the default System Units (inches) alone.

I'm curious to know what kind of problems will arise when using 3DSky models in my scenes. Isn't Max supposed to convert units for imported objects, including values on modifiers and textures?