Author Topic: Material Editor Suggestions  (Read 79944 times)

2015-12-11, 13:45:59

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
It seems that the time to start implementing some basic material editor may come soon (no promises though). The plan is to have support for almost all of the Corona features, but that may take some time. I want to start small and then add few more features on each release. To better prioritize, I'd like to ask for your opinion. Please share your thoughts on what features you would like to see in the material editor (and categorize them as "need to have" / "nice to have" if you can).

Although we're still in closed beta stage, everybody is welcome to share his opinion, not just the current beta testers.

2015-12-11, 18:18:22
Reply #1

caecarvalho

• Users
    • View Profile
My list would be:

Need to have:
-Nice material preview - Probably like the one in max, with resizable window, so we can see a bigger preview if we need. This one is a must have for me. I have V-ray and Thea for SU. Vray 2.0 for SU has a very small preview for maps and for materials and you can hardly see some subtle effects... Thea render has the option to choose from 2 different resolutions. It's better but if we could have a resizable window would be the best!
-Nice map preview - A resizable window with immediate feedback of the changes - Like if we apply a color correction or any other effect from the material editor. Thea render has a separate map editor wich is nice.
-Complete interaction with interactive render - I know it will take some time to achieve but would be nice to be able to see all the changes made in the material editor immediately show in the IR.Including the changes made in maps. Without having to confirm this changes with a button. Thea render has a nice material editor, but you have to confirm the changes and close the editor in order to see the changes in IR. V-ray has immediate feedback in IR for the main material features but when you're inside the map slots you still have to confirm the changes in order to see the IR update.
-Most of the materials supported in max, like corona material, emissive, material for thin surfaces like leaves (2 sided material)
-GGX

Good to have:
-SSS
-Material library or some presets like metal, plastic, etc...

I'd like to elaborate more, but that's what came to my mind at the moment...

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

2015-12-11, 19:36:33
Reply #2

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks ryuu,

I would say keep it simple and all within one small window / dialog box and work with the sketchup native paint bucket material system instead of completely trying to replace it, which would mean retexturing everything again without being able to see the textures. In max or c4d, materials are represented by colours and not flat representations of textures like Sketchup, which brings me great difficulty when I compose a scene together as I can't visualise by weird colour representations.

So loosely tying the materials editor to the paint bucket materials native function would be great as the textures are updated on the spot visually shown with the model. the two main things that are shown directly on the model are material mapping  size and position (perfect for tiling textures), and transparency.

one of the best materials editor I have used is the extremely simple one from Podium. It has only a few settings. eg, diffuse, reflectivity, transparency (tied to native), base color (tied to native), it is only a single texture, bump, emmisivity, and alpha. I have always wished for displacement, SSS, and a rendered material preview . all textures reside in the skp file and not a separate JPEG file for each  texture  residing all over the place. Good place to start.

I would highly suggest not to have confirm or cancel settings, but rather immediate effect when sliders are moved like Mac. too many clicks spoil the soup.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-11, 19:41:32 by spadestick »

2015-12-12, 07:48:13
Reply #3

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what i really like about another material editor from twilight is that it contains approximate real world equivalents to materials that make sense : for example, in emissivity sliders, shifting the sliders over segments of the range will give an indication of light power output eg. glowworm, naked flame, fluorescent, incandescent 40W, halogen 50w, halogen 100w, halogen 200W, sodium street lamp, 400W flood lamp, lighthouse lamp, and colour temperture in terms of Kelvins. of course, LEDs are messing up the equations with their different power ratings... but should be left out as they havent come to a proper consensus yet even within the lighting industry.

2015-12-12, 08:11:21
Reply #4

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i think that the 3D max material system is simply terrible, tying one material to another, linking this to that, redundant duplicate materials, paths to textures all over and tying to animation, it is overly complicated and unnecessary with too many cryptic boxes to fill out, leading you to the twilight zone.

Don't get me wrong, there should be multi mixed and mapped materials, I just think there should be a much better and simpler way of doing it, and not the Max way. I heard that Modo has a good system... but I am not sure.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-12, 08:25:45 by spadestick »

2015-12-12, 08:37:49
Reply #5

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Need to have :
Simplicity, all in one box. less is more.
Alpha is automatic with PNG textures.
Displacement Mapping
Volumetric material : Plasma, cloud, fog (there is actually a Fog function in Sketchup, would be good to work with it).
Material Preview

Nice to Have :
Skatter Mapping through assigned textures... eg... grass texture, equivalent becomes skattered real displaced grass or fur.
Real World descriptions instead of just vague numbered values.

examples of real world descriptions for reflectivity :
0% <- dull(raw, hewn), satin (brushed, honed, flat), semi-gloss (lacquer), gloss (polished), chrome, mirror -> 100%

examples of real world descriptions for bump / displacement level :
working with the units : ie. nm, mm, cm, m.
invert tick box.

examples of real world descriptions for opacity (affects opacity in Sketchup's native levels) : 0% <- air, clear water (bump map required), clear glass, tinted glass, frosted glass (entering into SSS territory), wax, skin, full opaque  -> 100%

IOR / refraction : Thin glass (windows), thick glass, water, plastic, diamond.

Emmissivity : Lumens based on a certain average size of an emmissive material ie. 10mm x 10mm  <- glowworm, phosphorous strips, burning bbq coals, naked flame, fluorescent, incandescent 40W, halogen 50w, halogen 100w, halogen 200W, sodium street lamp, 400W flood lamp, lighthouse lamp, sunlight ->. and colour temperature in terms of Kelvins. adding a filter can affect the colour.

« Last Edit: 2015-12-12, 13:36:04 by spadestick »

2015-12-13, 23:28:58
Reply #6

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree with what spadestick says.
For me is very important work with the skectchup native paint bucket material system. I use it to  texturing and scale the materials, it´s very easy to use. Later when I have the textures on the faces of the objects y use to open the vray material menu and I apply reflections, bumps, displacements, etc. This is my workflow and earn me a lot of time.
I would like first to implement in the material editor, material preview, reflections, refraction, bump and displacement. And it´s important the channel alpha and the material ID like vray.
Cheers!

2 xeon 2658 / i7 5820K /i7 3770

2015-12-14, 15:12:38
Reply #7

cosbu

• Active Users
  • civil engineer
    • View Profile
Good luck with the plugin! As sketchup is more about architecture and simplicity, the material editor could focus on that. I suggest that the materials' UV maps should link with those from the parent materials (but an option to unlink should be useful too). For me it's important also the diffuse,bump, specular and all other maps to be easily linked so when you rescale diffuse, the others to follow. I'd also like displacement to be easily handled, like a bump map. That is because it can add a lot quality to an image with little effort and that's really great for architecture
civil engineer

2015-12-21, 15:11:50
Reply #8

henyaoi

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello, everybody. This is my first post here. I'm not a Corona user yet, but I model and render interiors a lot with SketchUp and SU Podium. And I'm very curious to try Corona for SketchUp:) So, here's the features I'd like to see in material settings.
Need to have: thick glass, thin (single sided) glass, thin (single sided) sss, bump map, normal map, reflectance map, reflection blur setting, metals, emissive materials and something for fabrics (like silk and velvet).
Nice to have: displacement, sss, layered materials, anisotropy and others.

2016-01-18, 18:43:53
Reply #9

Ithil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to be analogues of procedural textures 3D max

Composite, Vertex Color, Dirt. Mix, Noise, Splat...
I really like to use procedural textures.

And big minus v-ray in SketchUp - is not possible to copy texture from one slot to another. Each slot has to configure from scratch.

If the corona-renderer can copy the texture and setting it will be a huge blow to the v-ray.
If possible, add a node editor it would be really cool!

2016-01-25, 16:16:04
Reply #10

valerostudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thea has a pretty nice approach as far as a material editor goes. You have 2 options, one is very basic with some presets that you choose (Plastic, Metal, Glass, Thin Glass, Car Paint, etc) with a couple of simple sliders for reflection and glossiness. If you want a more advanced tools, then you open the material in an external editor with all the bells and whistles. You can also load materials from a library this way.

I get about 80% of my SketchUp materials setup with these shortcuts. Auto-bump from the sketchup material is a huge time saver too, and something that VRay does not have currently. Most of the time, you can get away with using a grayscale image of your diffuse as a bump, just to add some texture. In Thea's material editor its a one click thing.

2016-02-02, 12:33:59
Reply #11

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My dream would be to have a node-based editor, similar to what 3Dsmax has.

I know it's much more work than a simplier material editor, but it offers to the user so much more power and ease of use. In max, now I always use this, I never went back to the old editor.
The node interface allows to build very complex materials very easily. You can instantly see how a single map is used in different materials, what color correction is applied to it, etc.

Acutally, I had in mind to build a node-based material editor for Sketchup, that would be compatible with the major render engines. But each one has a very different approach, so I dropped the project. So now that you have the opportunity to start from scratch, please do this! Pretty please!

2016-02-02, 12:41:01
Reply #12

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This would not be easily possible without the node editor (Bertrand Benoit) :

2016-02-04, 01:03:26
Reply #13

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would be great if corona materials can be integrated into Sketchup native material system by extending it with the
common corona material properties.

Sketchup material system is so simple and easy to use and perhaps if this can be extended will be great.
Most renderer have their own separate material editor linked to Sketchup material.

My idea is use the sketchup materials and extending it to the advantage of corona render engine.

"Jack of all trade, but messing up with 3D"
Blender 2.78 Corona Standalone 1.5 / 2016-10-24 Alpha
Win 10 64bit

2016-02-04, 10:54:23
Reply #14

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The Sketchup API doesn't give developers any way to modify the existing dialogs. So that's not possible. (That's why every engine has its own material editor)

2016-02-04, 15:59:23
Reply #15

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
how about building a corona own material API or web dialog to act like Sketchup material with the basic corona material preset with texture support and then develop it into a full-blown material editor.

I know Sketchup API is limited in certain things but programmers has the way to create a workaround.

Well, node editing is not even supported in Sketchup API unless someone create workaround using C++/C. Not sure if node editing is even possible in ruby using web dialog or the only way to do it is inside the rendering engine itself and only linked to sketchup.
Win 10 64bit

2016-02-04, 16:24:10
Reply #16

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
how about building a corona own material API or web dialog to act like Sketchup material with the basic corona material preset with texture support and then develop it into a full-blown material editor.
Well, they have to build it from scratch anyway, so they're better off creating something that makes more sens for Corona.

We can do whatever we want in both webdialogs and C++ dialogs.
The issue is not "is it possible", but "how long would it take to do it?". There are frameworks for Qt, or in JS, or whatever, but it would still take a lot of time.

2016-02-04, 17:21:13
Reply #17

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Definitely, node editor is good to have aside from basic material editor and
preset materials that can be easily applied. Drag and drop material assigning to object

Right click contextual shortcuts
Interactive preview with thumbnail of in model materials ala 3dsmax 24 slots
Import export of material library/ saving and loading

Drag and drop/ copy and paste of texture mapping 

Material randomizer/ color randomizer
Material layering

Good to have all of this👍

Win 10 64bit

2016-02-05, 14:28:47
Reply #18

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is an inherent issue which I hope the team will pick up and address. It seems Corona doesn't handle the texture correct when you scale the texture with the pins instead of typing the correct measurements in the SU material editor. Allowing scaling within the texture is a crucial way of working in Sketchup and I think this is a very important issue to address, hopefully this can be possible without having to use numbers as trial and error to align and position textures correctly on faces and objects.

2016-02-06, 16:13:59
Reply #19

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have noticed  also that texture scaling is happening when material texture is applied to a grouped object rather than individual faces before grouping.

Try this...
1. texture applied on a single face in an object before grouping is rendered correctly.
2. texture applied in grouped faces to form an object when rendered scales down or become tiled texture, texture rendered incorrectly.
3. texture applied on faces, then group into an object renders correctly.

Win 10 64bit

2016-02-07, 17:16:48
Reply #20

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At the moment, when you render sketchup scene, corona render it with a default diffuse materials
using assigned color and texture native of sketchup.

I am just thinking that, we can build material editor from here.
Corona will detect native sketchup materials applied then auto-convert these materials
into corona own material, 1) diffuse material, 2) glass material, 3) glossy material etc etc...
Then corona will generate converted materials and open in corona material editor so we tweak
some properties to our liking then render.

I am thinking also of a drag and drop approach to material using preset but during dropping preset material will be applied but keeping the existing texture applied and not re doing or setting up again the whole process of texture mapping and lingking.
Win 10 64bit

2016-02-08, 16:07:05
Reply #21

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona can have sketchup material preset similar to the snapshot I have attached
that can be applied to sketchup object, then these will be detected by the render engine
and render the scene based on these materials.

These Corona materials can have the Corona supported material properties that can be edited in a corona
material editor either by basic or advance node editing and can be saved back to corona materials or save as user materials.

Then these will become the users preferred materials when using Corona as renderer.

Just a thought and idea. Hope this make sense. ;)

Win 10 64bit

2016-02-10, 09:39:56
Reply #22

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh.. big time request. Not sure about how it works in MAX, but could you set limits to everything... one of the ways is to work in percentages.

0-100%

because many times, we are not aware what the limit is and place some random figure like 1000 and find out it either doesnt do anything or places the rendering into an infinite render loop, like months.

like BUMP for instance should be in mm or inches and should have a limit.

This will reduce trial and error!

2016-02-10, 11:48:42
Reply #23

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would help if range or limit is in greyed out text or label in the input boxes, or hovering tips for spinner or slider.

Or limits just can be seen on the sides opposite in a grey-out color

Or this tips can be just part of presets and can be removed in a customized settings so as
to reduce clutter
Win 10 64bit

2016-02-24, 16:00:51
Reply #24

marqueso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A node editor would be amazing!

or a editor similar to Keyshot would be nice. I think it could work similarly since both work to maximize a "progressive" render situation.

http://postimg.org/image/7ww6sgmr1/

2016-03-10, 19:46:40
Reply #25

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm starting to test the material editor. It would be interesting to include a tool to select the material and find it easily. In the picture attached it is that even simple there are many materials in the scene. Cheers

2016-03-11, 06:36:56
Reply #26

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 corona own material picker and dropper
Win 10 64bit

2016-03-11, 08:47:25
Reply #27

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is planned as soon as I figure out how to do that and have time to implement it. I'd like to do both material picking and painting (the current "Apply to Selected" method is very slow). In the meantime there is a "workaround" where you can select an object in scene and click on the "Selected" tab in the top-left corner of the material editor. This will display only the materials applied on selected object(s).

Btw, does anyone have any tips how to handle texture previews in UI? I kinda don't like the 3DS Max way where if you apply a map, you just have an "M" next to the property and have to click it (which brings you to another menu) to actually see how this map looks like. On the other hand if I were to continue with my current scheme, all the texture previews would take a lot of space. I'd like to reach some middle ground, where you can easily see the applied textures without cluttering the UI too much.

2016-03-11, 09:30:37
Reply #28

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is planned as soon as I figure out how to do that and have time to implement it.
You can also sync your material editor with Sketchup's editor, using a MaterialsObserver.

Btw, does anyone have any tips how to handle texture previews in UI? I kinda don't like the 3DS Max way where if you apply a map, you just have an "M" next to the property and have to click it (which brings you to another menu) to actually see how this map looks like. On the other hand if I were to continue with my current scheme, all the texture previews would take a lot of space. I'd like to reach some middle ground, where you can easily see the applied textures without cluttering the UI too much.
A drop-down? You have some way of seeing a map is applied (bold?) and when you click on it, the map appears.
Kinda like what I do in Skatter's UI to display more options.

2016-03-11, 09:40:41
Reply #29

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
I'm already using the observer to sync material changes made from SketchUp editor, but I completely missed that it also gives me the currently selected material. That's great, thanks for the tips.

2016-03-11, 10:02:59
Reply #30

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was about to suggest that you could have icons in your UI to trigger the Paint Bucket and Sampler tools, but actually I'm not sure that's doable.

Also, you can sync the other way around with Sketchup.active_model.materials.current =

2016-03-11, 10:07:28
Reply #31

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually it is possible with send_action : http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/developer/docs/ourdoc/sketchup#send_action
Sketchup.send_action("selectPaintTool:")

But only for the paint bucket, not the sampler.

2016-03-13, 12:47:38
Reply #32

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be good to save materials on the computer to create our own library materials and to apply them to the selected model or material previously applied with the paint bucket . It would also be good to have a library of materials within corona, and can add new materials or other libraries.

2016-03-13, 15:03:14
Reply #33

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wish list based on the new material editor at the moment.
1. option to type values in the input box which is disabled at the moment
2. option to use other unit like meters or mm for the mapping tiling
3. preset materials has been previously requested
4. emitters?...

Win 10 64bit

2016-03-14, 13:49:50
Reply #34

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ability to delete materials would be good...

Displacement? I can't map the correct bump to the diffuse texture, it comes in at a different size.

2016-03-14, 22:45:39
Reply #35

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
corona sketchup newbie question here... how do you launch the new material editor? I dont have an icon for it?

2016-03-15, 00:53:32
Reply #36

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can right click on the toolbar with all the icons then a list of checked and non-checked tools will appear. Check the corona.

Or go to Menu then View then toolbars, check the corona
Or go to Menu, Window, Preferences, Then Extensions, you will see a list of installed plugins,
Enable corona for sketchup
Win 10 64bit

2016-03-15, 12:25:30
Reply #37

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it would be good to implement the hdri support as well as to control the size of the sun to have control over the intensity of the shadows

2016-03-15, 13:32:35
Reply #38

Ithil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please add the ability to create a second slot Diffuse
Visible for SketchUp and  not visible  for the Corona.

Like proxy for large textures, not load them in the Sketchup file.
And the use of different colors in the SketchUp  and the Corona.
For example in my files chrom material light blue color. But it should be a black for correct rendering.

2016-03-25, 14:51:13
Reply #39

byv

• Users
    • View Profile
When you select a painted faces (surfaces), it is advisable to illuminate the material in the materials editor (texture) selected face

2016-03-26, 10:59:34
Reply #40

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are there any emitters shaders in the current texture editor?

2016-04-01, 03:53:15
Reply #41

Ocularcentric

• Active Users
    • View Profile
BYV - see the "Selected" tab - it works well for me.

I'm also keen to see Corona lights or emitter material properties :)

2016-04-01, 09:57:29
Reply #42

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think what he meant by illuminate in the material editor is that the face selected will show the material applied to it in the editor even without
going to the Selection tab. And I agree so that one can easily see the material applied to the face in relation to all the list of material. So in the tab All, you can instantly see the material applied to the face which means the Selection can be removed or change into additional tools maybe node editor in the future....

Please also add control, it could be low, medium, high button or slider to increase preview resolution, similar purpose to that of 3dsmax.
Or this could be added in an Option Tab somewhere in the material editor

Win 10 64bit

2016-04-01, 11:20:45
Reply #43

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
The problem with auto-selecting material from a selected face is that you can have different materials applied to both sides of the face. That's the reason why this is done through the "Selected" tab. This way you can also select more complex object and see all the materials applied to its components.

The material preview will definitely be resizable in the future. Unfortunately that may take some time since I'm currently busy with some non-sketchup things. I still hope I'll get to releasing at least some updates and fixes to the material editor soon, but I can't make any promises right now.

2016-04-01, 12:54:31
Reply #44

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The problem with auto-selecting material from a selected face is that you can have different materials applied to both sides of the face. That's the reason why this is done through the "Selected" tab. This way you can also select more complex object and see all the materials applied to its components.

Well the Selection tab is functional, but merging it in the All tab will be for a cleaner UI.
Not a priority concern at the moment.

Thanks Ryuu.
Win 10 64bit

2016-04-02, 10:50:50
Reply #45

byv

• Users
    • View Profile
I think what he meant by illuminate in the material editor is that the face selected will show the material applied to it in the editor even without
going to the Selection tab. ....
This is what I meant

2016-04-02, 10:54:23
Reply #46

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Do you mean that when you select a face, its material should be auto-selected in the editor (which is impossible as there can be two different materials applied on the face), or that the applied materials should just somehow be tagged/highlighted in the editor's material list?

2016-04-02, 17:23:13
Reply #47

MgVrN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1- what about support all standart and vray shaders.
2- more maps like SigerScratches, noise maps or kind of freaky motives ( infinity created )

2016-04-02, 17:35:51
Reply #48

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
....or that the applied materials should just somehow be tagged/highlighted in the editor's material list?

Its more into this.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-02, 17:49:17 by jKLman »
Win 10 64bit

2016-04-04, 08:47:51
Reply #49

byv

• Users
    • View Profile
Do you mean that when you select a face, its material should be auto-selected in the editor (which is impossible as there can be two different materials applied on the face), or that the applied materials should just somehow be tagged/highlighted in the editor's material list?
Applied materials should just somehow be highlighted in the list of the material Editor

2016-04-11, 19:01:33
Reply #50

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The latest improvements to the editor render crown they have greatly improved workflow .
But there is a bug that is that while rendering no intensity changes are applied , color, etc in the render.

2016-04-11, 20:38:21
Reply #51

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Yes, this is already reported as a bug in Mantis. I can't test it right now, but the same configuration is in the render settings dialog and it should be applied online to the active render.

2016-04-11, 23:20:14
Reply #52

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Material UI bug

When you change render resolution, you have to press arrow up/down
before you can type the number. You cannot type straight in the input box.

Request:
Is there a way to add glossiness in the material editor to control
Blurry effect of reflection or to control range of glossiness.
Win 10 64bit

2016-04-12, 08:44:12
Reply #53

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
But there is a bug that is that while rendering no intensity changes are applied , color, etc in the render.

OK, so it seems that the bug was somewhere else than I thought, so that the workaround with setting post processing configuration in the render settings dialog does not work. This bug is however already fixed for the next version.

Material UI bug

When you change render resolution, you have to press arrow up/down
before you can type the number. You cannot type straight in the input box.

Do you mean the tiling width & height? This problem is present with all the spinners in the dialogs (the render settings dialog suffers from this as well). It's also on my roadmap, but thanks for reminding me of this problem. You don't need to actually click the arrows to apply the value, just moving the focus out of the spinner by clicking any other control should do the job.

Request:
Is there a way to add glossiness in the material editor to control
Blurry effect of reflection or to control range of glossiness.

Do you mean adding the possibility to set reflection/refraction glossiness maps instead of just a single value? This is planned and will be pretty simple to add. I'm waiting with these changes until I had a chance to redesign the material editor UI (add some collapsible rollouts so that it's not all so mashed up together).

2016-04-13, 01:52:31
Reply #54

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Do you mean the tiling width & height? This problem is present with all the spinners in the dialogs (the render settings dialog suffers from this as well). It's also on my roadmap, but thanks for reminding me of this problem. You don't need to actually click the arrows to apply the value, just moving the focus out of the spinner by clicking any other control should do the job.

Yes, it is present in the render dialog box render resolution. But thanks for the tips until the next update.

Do you mean adding the possibility to set reflection/refraction glossiness maps instead of just a single value? This is planned and will be pretty simple to add. I'm waiting with these changes until I had a chance to redesign the material editor UI (add some collapsible rollouts so that it's not all so mashed up together).

Yes, please include the fresnel and anisotropic control button/spinner
« Last Edit: 2016-04-13, 06:49:43 by jKLman »
Win 10 64bit

2016-11-07, 10:44:46
Reply #55

majid

• Users
    • View Profile
My toolbar only has 2 icon, am I missing something or it is normal?
Also material editor lacks the following:
 there is plenty to do to benefit all Corona potentials inside Su such as:
LEM or another light sources are missing.
HDRi lighting or color as background.
Reflection map and refraction map would be great if added.
A resize-able material preview would be well appreciated.
Proxy option would be also great as Sketchup would go drastically slow when populated with several heavy models..

2016-11-07, 12:06:27
Reply #56

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
You're not missing anything. The Corona for SketchUp plugin is still in the very early alpha phase of development. We are little understaffed at the moment so we lack the capacity to do any serious SketchUp development right now. If everything goes as planned, we should be able to restart SketchUp plugin development full-speed in January.

A resize-able material preview would be well appreciated.

This one at least is implemented :) You can right-click the material preview and select size (you can do the same with texture previews).

2016-11-07, 12:28:32
Reply #57

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very interesting

2016-12-15, 11:15:06
Reply #58

Ante Olic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My only suggestion for now  is to put color/material picker into Corona MTL editor, cause then i dont need open sketchup material editor to pick another material from scene.

To give other suggestions i first have a questions to Corona Team.
Is that expected that Corona for sketchup have all material types, maps and features as Corona for 3DSMAX or not.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2,80GHz

2017-01-10, 12:31:44
Reply #59

Ante Olic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some idea for Material Editor i have made with Sketchup.

2017-01-20, 15:03:09
Reply #60

seraleklee1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Greetings.
I think one of the best materials on the market editor is to Thearender.
Very easy to use, efficient and intuitive.
I think the editor of Corona for SketchUp materials should be guided by that.

2017-01-31, 12:17:32
Reply #61

Ante Olic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In Sketchup Materil gallery i change thumnail with corona material preview window and now i have simple and usefull material gallery of basic corona materials. I just dont understend where corona store corona material settings and additional texturea like displace or bumb. I cant find its location.

2017-06-13, 08:18:45
Reply #62

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ryuu & team

any progress updates on Corona Sketchup?

2017-06-13, 09:58:55
Reply #63

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Not much and not good unfortunately. The new SketchUp guy whom we have hired recently has left Render Legion for other job. We are currently evaluating our options for further SketchUp development. Sorry for the recent silence, but I didn't want to announce anything publicly until we have reached a decision (which we haven't yet).

2017-06-13, 10:09:01
Reply #64

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
oh, maybe reconsider jiminy-billy-bob?

so sorry to hear about that...

2017-06-13, 21:44:18
Reply #65

novena

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my online portfolio
Not much and not good unfortunately. The new SketchUp guy whom we have hired recently has left Render Legion for other job. We are currently evaluating our options for further SketchUp development. Sorry for the recent silence, but I didn't want to announce anything publicly until we have reached a decision (which we haven't yet).

sad to hear that, and sad to hear that SKP development is endangered :(
is there anything we Corona for SKP enthusiast could help?
best
V

2017-06-13, 23:44:34
Reply #66

franm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very sorry to hear that.  Hope it's not true. Corona for SketchUp is 20 times faster than Maxwell.  I use SketchUp because I prefer SketchUp's perspective system to 3d Studio.  Aaaagh!  All of my previous Maxwell/SketchUp files are rendering up beautifully in Corona.  That's even without interior lighting...

2017-06-14, 00:35:53
Reply #67

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is very bad news. I hope that in the future they will be better

2017-06-14, 11:16:39
Reply #68

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I may be able to help finding someone suited for the job, don't hesitate to contact me.

2017-06-15, 11:04:30
Reply #69

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I may be able to help finding someone suited for the job, don't hesitate to contact me.

if I could triple like this reply, I would!

2017-06-15, 11:20:00
Reply #70

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if I could triple like this reply, I would!
Don't get too excited :D I'm not saying I know someone interested for the job, I'm just saying I can help getting in touch with a bunch of SketchUp extensions devs.

2017-06-23, 20:42:05
Reply #71

sunlooksgreen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello! What are the latest news? Did you get someone else to continue developing the plugin?

2017-06-23, 22:29:46
Reply #72

franm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been experimenting with the latest release, and Corona has a realism I couldn't get from Maxwell.  I hope the development of the program will continue.

2017-06-23, 22:40:22
Reply #73

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Would give left arm for that mat editor (compact ) in MAX
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2017-06-24, 14:29:59
Reply #74

sunlooksgreen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I completely agree with franm; been using render engines since the vray 0.5 times; the quality of the quality of the lighting is unmatched.. so disapointed further developpment is uncertain..

2017-07-20, 22:53:23
Reply #75

sunlooksgreen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is the development still ongoing?

2017-07-24, 08:57:40
Reply #76

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No it seems to have stopped for now. We do hope it resumes with a passionate programmer on board!

2017-07-25, 17:35:11
Reply #77

franm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had hoped to market myself with this renderer.  After using it I can´t go back to Maxwell, with it's "snow"  that takes forever to resolve. I've never been that excited about Vray.  So I don't have a renderer.  It's like Corona has ruined me for other SketchUp plug-ins.  I was really looking forward to the addition of interior lights eventually.   I hope it's just a matter of time!

2017-07-26, 10:10:05
Reply #78

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ryuu!. Is there any news about the development of corona render for sketchup?

2017-07-26, 11:04:34
Reply #79

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi Ryuu!. Is there any news about the development of corona render for sketchup?
no news until further notice, sorry. Michal is on vacation ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-26, 23:34:18
Reply #80

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank´s Ondra

2017-09-28, 15:42:27
Reply #81

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ryuu, has the office dust settled yet? - hopefully there's a slight chance of a basic roadmap ahead! A long term project perhaps...