Author Topic: material override as render element  (Read 3633 times)

2014-04-17, 15:49:29

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

Is it possible to have an option for a material override as a render element instead of only being able to use this as a render override option? This way you can easily get a good look on how light behaves when adding shaders\lights and so on and use this pass for several post effects.

If this feature is already implemented please let me know, because I can't find it.

2014-04-17, 16:15:52
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Well, you can add a pass with custom texture/map (CTexmap pass) but I'm not sure if it would be even possible to add a custom material pass. You wrote it would be good for checking how light behaves. Then let's imagine you would render the scene normally + put a pass with red material on everything. Light would behave completely different - first of all, it would bounce off red light so this would mean double calculations for your beauty pass and custom material pass. Maybe I'm dumb but that's how I see it. :P
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-04-17, 20:26:37
Reply #2

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware of the functionality of the Ctexmap pass, but as you said this won't let you apply a material pass. I think it would be a good feature when using a greyish diffuse material so you'd have a typical clayrender. Therefor you can easily switch between the beautypass and the clayrender to better identify light distribution.
Besides that a clayrender can become very useful when animating and using a more sketchy style of combining a beautypass and a clayrender.

Anyway, this topic isn't really how to use clayrenders for an extra artistic approach but more to see if a material pass could be implemented as a render element. And reading your comment I see there isn't a way to do so yet. So I'd like to know if this is technically possible and if someone could dive into this.

2014-04-21, 16:37:29
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Sorry, because of the way shading is implemented, this is not possible. The best that can be done is a script to automate assigning override mtl->rendering->removing override mtl sequence.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)