Author Topic: 3dsmax resetting UI  (Read 17212 times)

2016-10-03, 22:57:17

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Hello max users,

We seems to have never ending issues with 3dsmax resetting its UI so that you need to set up shortcuts, buttons etc all over again. Max 2017 seems to be better, but we had to go back to 2016 for other reasons.

Anyone have any tips? I suspect it may have started happening when we moved to windows 10 but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe some kind of permissions issue?

any help much appreciated

Peter

2016-10-03, 23:51:04
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think it's windows 10 related. When i switched from max2014 to max2016, i was shocked how unreliable it seemed to me at first. I was on win 7 then. Max kept loosing UI customization very often. But with time it somehow became more stable and after i changed OS to win 10, my experience with max2016 became pretty much normal. Of course there is plenty broken things which worked fine in max2014, but at least it doesn't loose customization anymore.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-10-04, 00:05:18
Reply #2

shadowman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Make a backup of 3dsmax.ini with your current setup, and restore it every time when it happens.

2016-10-04, 03:31:30
Reply #3

oncire

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Go to customize menu - Save custom ui scheme...it saves your keyboard shortcut, menus,quad, color etc. i always do this action everytime i change my ui. hope this helps.

2016-10-04, 03:50:34
Reply #4

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Tbh, I am suspecting Windows 10 has some issues with 3dsmax which seems to get better with windows update. I am still using 3dsmax 2014 since my workflow is relatively simple and some things have been problematic compared to when I was on Windows 8.1. Will probably upgrade soon. I also figured re-setting 3dsmax UI settings/preference by deleting the 3dsmax folder in the app folder improves viewport performance and tools response when there is viewport lagging/ slow tool response. I only do this when it is absolutely necessary.

2016-10-04, 08:30:13
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
This happens imho when you are working with multiple max instances: Closing one with a large scene while loading another for example, 3dsmax.ini gets corrputed/reset.

As shadowman wrote, backup 3dsmax.ini and restore it when it happens. Very anoying indeed. We had this with win7 and now also with win10, so I think it´s not OS related.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-10-04, 14:40:42
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There are two separate issues.

One is caused by some conflict when you have 2 instances of 3dsMax running. Sometimes, on rare occasions, when you shut down one instance of Max and other one right after that, they will both try to write out settings and corrupt the file. This one is very rate though.

Other one is trivial. Some recent Max versions have a bug where some of the setting files are saved by default inside of location where user account doesn't have write permissions by default. Solving this is easy - just go over every single tab of Customize User Interface window, click save, and save settings to some location that your user account has write access to, such as your documents folder. Once you save them, Max will always read them from there. Then, your setting should not keep resetting anymore.

2016-10-04, 15:04:06
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Other one is trivial. Some recent Max versions have a bug where some of the setting files are saved by default inside of location where user account doesn't have write permissions by default. Solving this is easy - just go over every single tab of Customize User Interface window, click save, and save settings to some location that your user account has write access to, such as your documents folder. Once you save them, Max will always read them from there. Then, your setting should not keep resetting anymore.

Since you do mention it started with Windows10, make sure you're using Microsoft account as opposed to local account.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-10-04, 15:16:57
Reply #8

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile

going to try this, thanks

2016-10-04, 15:17:26
Reply #9

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Since you do mention it started with Windows10, make sure you're using Microsoft account as opposed to local account.

can you elaborate on how that might help?

ps. going to SoA this weekend?

2016-10-04, 17:06:05
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's the only true 'administrator' account now within Windows 10. Lots of stuff don't work 100perc. when this Microsoft's wish is bypassed.

Sure of course :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-10-04, 18:04:25
Reply #11

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so everyone would have to sign up for a microsoft account? not sure that is going to happen!

2016-10-05, 01:31:56
Reply #12

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
That's the only true 'administrator' account now within Windows 10. Lots of stuff don't work 100perc. when this Microsoft's wish is bypassed.

Really? I wonder why Microsoft is doing this. Is there some sort of advantage for Window 10 users with this? Usually I wait for a year or highest 7 months before upgrading OS as time is spent by Microsoft fixing bugs, compatibility issues and ironing things out after release. Being ambushed with Windows 10 upgrade wasn't cool at all. I read somewhere Microsoft got sued by some users over this.

2016-10-05, 20:26:14
Reply #13

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Make a folder on the desktop including a 3dsmax.ini backup and a shortcut to:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\<version>\enu.
Just copy/paste it the .ini whenever something is wrong. Only a workaround but it works.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-05, 20:46:53 by RobSteady »

2016-10-30, 22:16:41
Reply #14

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we are an office of 11 3dsmax users, at least once a day someone loses all of their max customisations.

Not great Autodesk.