Author Topic: TPA - Westland Bunker VR Tour  (Read 6492 times)

2014-04-16, 13:30:33

The Pixel Artist

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Pixel Artist Illustration
Hi everyone!

I actually rendered this one back in January with one of the V6 daily builds, but wasn't able to show it at the time due to confidentially reasons. :(

Would have loved to had the new spherical cam from the latest daily build as it would certainly have my things a lot easier!!

Is was a really fast turnaround project (3 weeks to help building design, model/render the full exterior/site/interior, 8 view VR Tour, and 3+ minute animation) so I wasn't able to let the interior views render as long as I would have preferred, so they're still a bit noisy.  With the new spherical cam and the huge improvements in noise reduction in the final V6 alpha I bet these would have rendered much cleaner now for the same time!

Here's the VR Tour: http://thepixelartist.com/vrtours/westland/

Also had to do a 3 minute animation.  Ended up using Vray RT for the exterior portions, but the interior segments where done using the same 360 spherical Corona images used in the vr tour.  Used them as backgrounds in After Effects with an animated camera.  Really saved me a lot of time!!

Animation:

Thanks for viewing!
Adrian Alan Brown
The Pixel Artist Illustration
www.thepixelartist.com
Behance Gallery: https://www.behance.net/thepixelartist

2014-04-16, 14:36:13
Reply #1

vinbarg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
great project, you did it like a KING :) nice

2014-04-17, 10:42:01
Reply #2

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
All is pretty good. Can i ask how you did the stone wall, I like it. I suppose you used a BIM for the architectural design, would of been cool to see more of the Mechanical system, I notice you have cooling towers on the roof. good work.

2014-04-17, 15:20:10
Reply #3

The Pixel Artist

• Active Users
    • View Profile
All is pretty good. Can i ask how you did the stone wall, I like it. I suppose you used a BIM for the architectural design, would of been cool to see more of the Mechanical system, I notice you have cooling towers on the roof. good work.

Hi Alex, thanks! (you do awesome work yourself, btw!)

It's all modeled in Sketchup actually.... I know, I'm a real glutton for punishment!!  The modeling is then imported to 3dsMax for final details and rendering.  Here's a dropbox gallery showing the SU model, if you're interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mqnzoxgonv8ep78/lYR8SdMg1f

That said, I've been looking for quite a while to make the switch to a good BIM modeler.  Currently leaning towards ArchiCAD... but none of them (Revit, Chief Architect, Vectorworks, etc) are really a perfect solution and are very clunky!  But I just need to "bite the bullet" as they say, pick one and get it to work!  It looks like you have some experience with BIM, have any recommendations?

Regarding the stone, it was done with a displacement map.  I had to really pre-subdivide the mesh and crank up the Corona "Max subdiv per poly" variable to like 400-500 to get somewhat clean results.  I'd say displacement mapping is one of the areas Corona still needs a lot of improvement (I know Ondra has said this himself before).  It would be nice to have the subdiv variable on a per material basis, and not global, for one.  Also a better form of displacement that's geometry independent and doesn't required the base geom to be subdivide (like Vray 2d disp, but for 3d).
Adrian Alan Brown
www.thepixelartist.com

2014-04-18, 09:20:49
Reply #4

Alex Abarca

• Active Users
  • Corona Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
All of my models are BIM and hold architectural, structural and mechanical systems. As for Revit, it kind of became standard in the field, so its pretty easy work along side other consultants which specialize in their respective building fields.

I have become accustomed to Revit, it has its bugs, but I've manage how to work around them. One feature I really like and I've seen it grow, Is the File Link options from revit to max. In 2008 it was very cluncky and sometimes not useable. But now it works really well, so in theory you build out your model in revit and file link it in max. The beauty about this process is that you don't loose textures you previously made, so you can work your models from design development, schematic design all the way to as-built and visualize in max along all of those steps. I havent tried archicad lately (5 years years or so), but I recommend you stick to a modeler where you can model AEC systems and maintain the link to max. Visualization is the future, also construction companies are buying into it.

I have to get good at displacement, I will follow your advice. Thank you.

2014-04-18, 20:12:16
Reply #5

The Pixel Artist

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to get good at displacement, I will follow your advice. Thank you.

P.S.  I forgot to mention that I also had to use a meshsmooth modifier with the iterations set to 0 to keep the edges from splitting.  It's not a great solution but it was the only thing I could do to get it to work!

Thanks for the advice regarding BIM software.
Adrian Alan Brown
www.thepixelartist.com

2014-04-21, 19:30:19
Reply #6

gabrielefx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
very nice!
with Panotour Pro you can set the default views of the panorama according to the path.
For example if you exit out of the building you see it in front of you. In the real life the building should stand behind you.

2014-05-04, 20:41:24
Reply #7

hemrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Love the interior perspective.