Author Topic: Yet another critical problem with bump mapping  (Read 4102 times)

2020-04-20, 11:10:45
Reply #15

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please anyone with similar issues report it to developers, the more we are the more likely it will be fixed.

2020-04-20, 15:33:23
Reply #16

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Max Corona user here and I can confirm (along with others) that there's a big issue with bump mapping being view/resolution dependant. The issue becomes more apparent when using micro fine bump maps (fine plastic pitting, fine stainless steel brushing e.t.c).

I've posted this before but if you want an example of rock solid bump/filtering implementation, at least as far as needed for our purposes take a look at this video:

The anistropy of the stainless steel is purely derived from the fine bump map (no dedicated anistropy slot) and being a dual user of Corona and Fstorm I can guarantee that if you try this in Corona using bump maps, it will break. You might get a semi decent result for one particular view but as soon as you increase the render resolution or change the view all hell breaks loose and you'll have to re-tweak the material.

This is quite a large problem imo, as it impacts pretty much all common materials - wood, concrete and wall paint for example. The natural anistropy from the video example will be lost on common materials unless explicitly mapping it (and even then you won't be able to get as fine a result unless rendering larger and downsampling).

This isn't a knock on Corona - I still use it for 95% of commercial projects, I'm just trying to aid in key areas that could use some improvement.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20, 15:42:24 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2020-04-20, 16:20:23
Reply #17

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is quite a large problem imo, as it impacts pretty much all common materials

+1
I can't see how such an important feature has been neglected until now. An implementation like Fstorm would be ideal but I would be more than happy even if they simply solve the bug reported here. This is not a fancy new feature needed by a very few users, it is really a basic needs for all of us and it's crucial to get consistent shaders.

2020-04-20, 17:09:42
Reply #18

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also immediately noticeable: nice tone mapping, color grading & natural looking light dynamics in FStorm...

I'm sure Corona devs are working on getting there. :)

2020-04-20, 23:15:19
Reply #19

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 about the bump mapping. (I'm a Max user though)