Author Topic: Parallax mapping option as an alternative for displacement  (Read 16423 times)

2020-04-24, 19:03:47
Reply #30

MattiasD

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Key Visuals
Decals (geometric and projected) and POM are the reason why I`m looking at Unreal or Fstorm. We used them extensively when working on Homefront: The revloltion (made with cryengine).

They are a quick way to add damage, dirt, markings, puddles, posters, edgwear, cracks, flat elements, ..
They are highly reusable.
They fit in your ideology of "Ease Of Use" (https://corona-renderer.com/features/ease-of-use)
And i`m tired of trying to achieve similar results with distance maps or ambient occlusion :)

And all though the displacement in POM is not real it does a really good job most of the time.

BIG +1 if this could be implemented.

2020-04-24, 19:18:06
Reply #31

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks very interesting to me! Seems like a more streamlined way of working with composite materials - like in this tutorial: https://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/nakagin-photoreal-road-tutorial/

I imagine a good implementation of decal/material projection in Corona would be a really fast way of adding unique detail to base materials.

Not sure how parallax mapping factors into this, but I imagine it would be faster than using displacement - especially when developing the look of your scene and you want to move the camera around. Displacement really only works on the polygons that are visible to the camera when you first activate VFB, doesn't it?
parallax bump is essential for using decals with negative surface level such as cracks just because u need to avoid intersections with the base geometry)

2022-02-07, 17:10:35
Reply #32

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, works.

Hello,
I've tried the max file, as soon as i'm putting a bitmap in the OSL file name, it hangs (not crashed, but 99% cpu, even after 15mn), just trying to render the normalMap node.

I first thought it was because of my disp map set to 16bits, but it does the same with a simple 8 bits jpg.

Any idea ?

2022-06-01, 23:30:57
Reply #33

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1
must upgrade Decals with this

2022-07-29, 09:42:29
Reply #34

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, could you please explain why using displacement or normal map is not enough? Why parallax mapping would be better in this case?

2022-07-29, 12:28:49
Reply #35

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There are daily cases where everything else fails and only high budget geometry offers a way.
Most prominent example in use for archviz is to look through windows, into a room or a tunnel, hole, a portal of any sort. It's so often used that's become banal and surpasses use of clouds. Cuz when one is occupied, there's rarely time to invent and after, old habits die hard.
It would also makes it easier/cheaper & faster to animate far-away/mid to low LOD objects (use billboards instead of 3D), even representing surfaces under water/in volumetric objects... to ease and speed up actions which are repeated most often is where most benefit  is coming from.

Imagine rooms scattered over houses, blocks & skyscrapers, then buildings & skyscrapers scattered in back... or it could even be starting w/ grass, bushes, trees, animals, ppl... whatever entourage comes to mind. IIRC, ages ago there was a 3DS Max plugin which also provided whole library sets supporting such workflow.
Somebody surely remembers...?
« Last Edit: 2022-07-29, 12:33:27 by burnin »

2022-08-03, 14:08:41
Reply #36

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We are still not convinced parallax mapping would be very beneficial. It looks like there aren't many common uses cases for this. Sure, it would be nice to create a skyscraper with rooms you can peek into and they are actually flat textures, but I don't think it would be commonly used. There are also some workarounds to this, like using OSL.

We would still prefer to improve our displacement if needed, than to develop a new feature like this.

Of course, if someone can share a good example of how parallax mapping (or decals with parallax) would be useful, please do.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-03, 14:12:12
Reply #37

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Parallax alone is quite useless, and the use-case of projected rooms is easily done by great OSL commercial plugin.

But Parallax Occlusion mapping can great alternative to normal mapping before stepping to Displacement, but that depends purely on render-cost and I have only seen it implemented in F-Storm, and I have no idea what performance penalty it brings.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!