Author Topic: RC5 - Interactive render instantly crashes 3DS Max  (Read 2015 times)

2018-11-12, 18:32:10

JasonArcher

• Users
    • View Profile
I've found in RC5 that interactive rendering crashes 3DS Max within a matter of seconds. The complexity of the scene doesn't seem to matter -- I've tried it on a very large scene and on a scene where there is only a sphere with default textures and a single Corona light. Unfortunately, the result is the same. Is this a known issue in this release candidate or something new?

2018-11-12, 18:58:11
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
RC1 to RC4 were all pretty stable for me, didn't test RC5 yet. Doesn't sound too good, maybe provide a minidump for the dev team so they can investigate.

2018-11-12, 19:02:27
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not a known issue (otherwise a lot of people would be reporting it) - yes please, provide the minidump. One thought though, you mention "within a few seconds" which sounds to me like "just long enough for GPU denoising to kick in". Does the crash happen if Denoise During Rendering is disabled?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-11-13, 02:27:35
Reply #3

JasonArcher

• Users
    • View Profile
Not a known issue (otherwise a lot of people would be reporting it) - yes please, provide the minidump. One thought though, you mention "within a few seconds" which sounds to me like "just long enough for GPU denoising to kick in". Does the crash happen if Denoise During Rendering is disabled?

Just uploaded a zip file of the dump data. I hope it helps!

I checked the denoising and found that it was set to "none" when the crashes occurred.

2018-11-13, 08:31:20
Reply #4

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
I checked the denoising and found that it was set to "none" when the crashes occurred.

Thanks for the minidump. This denoising mode applies only to production rendering. There is also a separate checkbox called "Denoise during render" in the "Interactive rendering" section of the Performance tab which enables the NVIDIA AI denoiser during IR, which is what Tom was talking about.

2018-11-13, 13:07:14
Reply #5

JasonArcher

• Users
    • View Profile
Hmmm. I missed that one... It was on, and seems to have been the culprit.

2018-11-13, 14:21:34
Reply #6

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Cool. In any case, as pokoy and Tom already suggested, please provide the minidump generated from the crash (see links in my signature on how to do that), this will help us debug and fix this problem.

2018-11-13, 14:35:03
Reply #7

webuilddreams

• Active Users
    • View Profile
stable here (max 2017) only the lightlister does not list CoronaSun

2018-11-13, 15:01:11
Reply #8

Ryuu

• Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Oh, I just noticed you already provided the minidump. Sorry for that, I got confused managing more bug reports at once :/

2018-11-22, 13:06:41
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@JasonArcher - can you please try this?
1) Download the newest daily of Corona (or just wait for final V3 release ;) ) - currently RC7 - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
2) Go to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\MAXtoA folder
3) Remove (or just move somewhere else) the two files: optix.51.dll and optix_denoiser.51.dll
4) Install Corona Renderer V3 and allow it to download the Optix denoiser (do not use the offline downloaded Optix package!)
5) Start 3ds Max and see if the same issue is happening

If so, please capture a minidump again, and we will have to contact Nvidia about this.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us