Author Topic: darker/deeper shadows?  (Read 4777 times)

2019-03-17, 02:27:00

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi guys

I love the results i get from HDRIs but i often find myself wanting deeper/darker shadows.  I find that the shadows are somewhat 'washed' - is this some thing that is only achieved in post?  I see some great renders out there and i was wondering if there was any method behind this?

Cheers
S

2019-03-18, 14:35:35
Reply #1

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Lowering this value makes shadows sharper and more contrast. Try this, if I understood your problem right

2019-03-19, 22:46:49
Reply #2

Crazy Homeless Guy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Coming from Vray...  Lowering the gamma of an HDR below 1.0 will indeed create more contrast between your lights and darks, but it will also increase the saturation of the HDR, so be prepared for that.

Likewise... Raising the gamma above 1.0 will produce softer shadows and less contrast, and less saturation

Another option may be to check your filmic shadows in the post-rollout of the frame buffer.

2019-03-20, 20:09:48
Reply #3

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Coming from Vray...  Lowering the gamma of an HDR below 1.0 will indeed create more contrast between your lights and darks, but it will also increase the saturation of the HDR, so be prepared for that.

Yes, it will increase the saturation of HDR, but you can control it using Saturation value in Corona Color Correct Texmap. Beside that you can control intensity of light produced by the HDR map changing Exposure value

2019-03-25, 00:52:04
Reply #4

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys - i do technique already - i do get mixed results i thought there may have been another technique - it may be a thing to do in post i suppose

thanks again for your help

2019-03-29, 16:24:36
Reply #5

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Might be an obvious one but another route would be to adjust other settings in the Corona VFB... I regularly increase the contrast here to 3 or 4, and then knock down the saturation to balance it out (e.g. Contrast 3.50 and Saturation -0.050), or as suggested some tweaks of Filmic shadows/highlights although I generally to keep these at 0.