Author Topic: Bad allocation Exception!  (Read 9689 times)

2019-08-05, 16:35:35

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The scene I am working on is regularly crashing, I thought at first this was due to the displacement in the scene but I have turned it off and I as still getting it. It is quite a detailed scene but it should fit in memory fine, it seems like there is a memory leak or something? Please see attached screenshot.

Windows 10 1809, Max 2020 with latest patches, latest version 6.2.2 of Itoo forest object was in the scene but has been deleted so just the 0 sized object warnings you can see, latest Corona, nothing else special to report.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

2019-08-06, 09:40:12
Reply #1

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Are you able to send over your scene so we can look into it? Instructions on how to do this can be found in my signiture.

Can you also confirm which version of Corona you are using?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-08-06, 13:59:30
Reply #2

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

I have archived and uploaded the file, I am using Corona 4 hotfix 1.

Thanks,

Dan

2019-08-06, 15:00:09
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

What's the file name? And did you upload it to our dropbox or our website uploader?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-08-06, 15:02:50
Reply #4

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I followed the link to a dropbox uploader. I provided a link to this thread on as requested, the file name is "For support.zip" it's 677MB

2019-08-08, 15:10:46
Reply #5

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

Have you found anything?

Dan

2019-08-08, 15:24:31
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've been looking at this today and I haven't been able to reproduce any crash or memory leak so far. During rendering 3ds Max is using around 20gb of RAM for me.

Would you be able to share a screenshot of your task manager "Processes" tab when the crash occurs?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-08-08, 16:25:49
Reply #7

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

I won't have chance to for a while, I've moved to another project and very stacked here at the moment.  All I'd say is it sometimes takes a few hours, e.g. The first few corona auto saves I could open and later ones I could not. Also maybe of interest I'm using an AMD 2990WX processor with 64GB RAM.

Dan

2019-08-08, 16:29:44
Reply #8

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm a little confused, is it crashing while Corona is doing an autosave?

Could you provide me with some exact steps that you are doing when the scene crashes?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-08-08, 16:39:47
Reply #9

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

No, what I mean is the render will do something part way through the process where the CXR will become unreadable.

Steps are:

Press Render

Sometime later maybe an 2 hours or more 2-3 'bad allocation' errors will pop up, The render will continue, I have learned that I can save out Exr's from each channel separately and open them fine, but if I try to save and open a CXR then it will fail to do so.. giving the same error message as in the screen shot on the OP.

Also.. attempting to stop the render after an bad allocation error messages will cause Max to crash.

2019-08-08, 16:49:24
Reply #10

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Dan,

Thanks for clarifying.

These errors happen when the system runs out of memory, so in that respect it makes sense that you won't be able to save out CXRs after this error message has appeared as there is no RAM available.

I will leave the scene rendering overnight tonight and see if I am able to reproduce this error, which I was not able to do today.

I'll get back to you in the morning with my results and we can see where to go from there.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-08-08, 17:39:20
Reply #11

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan,

But what I don't get, if I am running out of memory, is why I'm showing RAM usage of around 40GB (24GB free) in task manager when I am getting these errors.

The CXRs are large, around 7GB for a 6K render is there a limit to how large / how many passes can be stored in them?

Dan

2019-08-09, 09:51:05
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Is this happening only when using DR or also when rendering locally with just 1 PC?

I would try this (however it is just blind shooting):
- Updating Windows, Max, Corona, and all plugins you are using to newest versions
- Disable "gather data for later" option
- Remove render elements with missing items (there are some LightMix elements with <deleted> items in them)
- Getting rid of those 0-scale objects (they should be on a hidden layer by default, right?)

Could you also tell us more about your system?
How many physical RAM sticks do you have installed?
What is the frequency of your RAM?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-08-09, 13:36:11
Reply #13

TangibleVisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Maru,

Thanks for taking a look.

I already updated everything to latest before I came around to posting. RAM speed is showing 1064.1Mhz on CPU-Z 8 slots matched set DDR4 Corsair CMK64GX4M8A2400C14, Mainboard Gigabyte Aorus X399 Xtreme-CF, Latest BIOS (F5i), not overclocked.

I will try your other suggestions, but it may be a few weeks before I can come back to this.

Cheers

Dan

2019-08-12, 10:20:02
Reply #14

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Just a quick update, I tried to reproduce this issue by leaving the render running over the weekend..

Unfortunately we still did not manage to trigger this bad allocation exception.

Please let us know when you have tried the steps recommended by Maru.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!