Author Topic: Hi : How to create such lighting?  (Read 1462 times)

2021-10-07, 05:13:17

yvesjaye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
I came across this stunning image which has a unique lighting scheme. Thus, was wondering if we can create such effect on Corona Renderer?
Any tutorials or basic steps to achieve this result?

Yours faithfully
Yvesjaye

2021-10-07, 10:01:33
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Well, if you're referring to the starry ceiling then I'd start by using a Light Material and see where that takes me. You'd need a nice starry bitmap to drive the material, obviously :) If you'd like to get a really nice glow from the stars then I'm guessing that with the Light Material you'll want a pretty strong contrast between space itself and the stars - you can further emphasize that by using a Composite / Layer shader and do some extra masking there. Or you know, you can use the Color Correct shader to get it behaving exactly like you want it.

Alternatively, you could also do it with a Physical MTL by putting the starry ceiling into the self illumination slot but then you gotta realize that you can't use that material to light the room - self illumination is not to be used like that. But what it does do is it offers you slightly more control over how you want to light a room - f.e putting a giant rectangle light just below the ceiling. I mean this one isn't exactly a realistic approach but can be an option if you're trying to art direct the lighting in a different way.

There's probably a couple of different ways to approach it too.

Hope that helps :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-10-10, 04:55:42
Reply #2

yvesjaye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Nejc,
Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely apply and keep you updated. However, I'm a little lost in the varieties you advised. Is it possible to take a screenshot or something of the material layer for me?
It would be of great help.

Regards,
Yvesjaye

2021-10-11, 14:20:24
Reply #3

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hey Yvesjaye,

Sure, I'm attaching a couple of screenshots of a potential set-up.

I've used a free JPG of a starry night sky and I've put that bitmap into a Corona Light material and applied it to the ceiling. Now because the map is 8bit you can start running into limitations when you tune up the intensity - If you want it to light up your interior you'll probably end up adjusting the intensity to be higher.

Then, in my opinion, you are faced with at least two options:
A) Place a Corona Light just underneath the ceiling, match its color to the starry night sky bitmap a bit and disable it from being seen directly, in reflections and in refractions. Also disable it's ability to occlude other lights. That'll create an effect that will look like the starry night sky ceiling is outputting more light than it actually is while in fact there's an invisible light there now doing all that grunt work. (Example: "Starry Ceiling with an additional extra light.png")
B) Either find a cool HDR image of a starry night sky or do some Photoshop magic with layering and masking. You can do that in 3ds Max as well imho where you try and isolate the stars (bright spots) from the background using the Composite map and then just up the star's intensity instead of upping the intensity of the rest of the image as well. It's a bit more of an advanced technique I suppose.

I'm pretty sure our resourceful users could think of even different ways of doing the same thing. Hopefully though, at least that option A I've listed above is of any use to you :)

Oh and as far as the rail light goes, its just a Corona Light Material applied to a spline / cylinder.

« Last Edit: 2021-10-11, 14:26:18 by Nejc Kilar »

2021-10-12, 06:22:48
Reply #4

yvesjaye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Nejc,
I'm really grateful for your help. I've just completed the modelling phase right now, waiting for approval from the client. Will apply these principles and try.
Again, thanks a ton. It has saved a lot of time.

Regards,
Yvesjaye

2021-10-12, 16:09:30
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Glad to hear it was at least a little bit helpful. Go rock the project! :)