Author Topic: RaySwitch GI component inside main material  (Read 1260 times)

2019-01-12, 08:31:09

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I saw on trello that you guys want to attempt new materiall for the upcoming version which is terrific news!

We find ourselves frequently using RaySwitch just to reduce color bleeding.

Could we please have a dedicated slot that would override the diffuse map or colour used to determine GI ? For example we have this furious red textured wall that casts red everywhere. We reduce that by just plugging desaturated version of the diffuse texture into that slot without having to setup RaySwitch and duplicating the whole material.

Is this doable ? Would be awesome.

2019-01-14, 11:27:14
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We are open to discussion, but I don't think this is something we would really like to have in Corona, to keep material UI as simple as possible.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-01-14, 15:55:06
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if it's easier than duplicating the material, but you could use the RaySwitch map (rather than RaySwitchMtl) into the Diffuse in a single material, and give the surface one color for GI and one color for Direct, e.g. by using CoronaColors into the RaySwitch map (would also work for texture maps, so you could desaturate one for GI vs Direct).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-01-14, 16:01:40
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
E.g. like this set up - at least it means if you wanted to adjust any other parameter, like glossiness or refraction etc, you'd just have to modify that in the one material rather than two :)

(or is that what you are doing already? Not sure if the request was to avoid duplicating the whole material, which this does, or if you are already doing this and was just hoping for a way to avoid the RaySwitch map)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-01-14, 19:50:10
Reply #4

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys for getting back.

Yea I was hoping just for additional slot like diffuse, glossiness etc. That would not hurt the interface and would not evercomplicate it rather too much IMHO.

Using RaySwitch map you have to each time go one slot deeper to tweak say visible diffuse and it is a bit of a hassle since we work with compact mat editor, not slate (yea I know it's not an excuse :)).

Anyway, let us know. Thought it may come of use for more people but if there is no interest in it then of course it is understandable :)