Author Topic: Daily builds version 3  (Read 103212 times)

2018-08-10, 10:26:07
Reply #45

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it possible to expose some controls for new denoising? I feel that is too aggressive for my taste. At least when authoring materials in IR, it almost doesn't matter if you use denoising or not, you still can't judge material's look untill rendering progresses far enough. Maybe it could be better if we had some controls over denoising and could try to reach balance between noise and painterly mush?

From all test i made, it looks undone from nvidia side. May be if wwe could contact nvidia and provide some more data for neural network to explore (images) we could help them improve it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Some more info on that denoiser

I don't know what the voodo this is but it is now not saving denoised result at all i only managed to save lowres (800x600) denoised images It just saves non denoised image from VFB. UPD - I managed to save from VFB And it was quet disapointing. The resulting image differs very much from the image seen in vfb, it is very blurred and contains a lot of artifacts areas that apear to be smooth in vfb have bright/dark large scale noise pattern on them.

That missing dll actualy affects not only CXR saved with new denoiser but also it affects standalone image editor and preventing it from startup. And the funniest thing that the dll with the right name (optix.51.dll) is actualy present in Corona/optix folder.

UPD - Somewhat it turns out that the only way to get  a proper result is to use autoback tonemaped EXR It looks even better than the image from VFB.

« Last Edit: 2018-08-10, 15:53:33 by Nekrobul »
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2018-08-10, 19:51:37
Reply #46

twcg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That missing dll actualy affects not only CXR saved with new denoiser but also it affects standalone image editor and preventing it from startup. And the funniest thing that the dll with the right name (optix.51.dll) is actualy present in Corona/optix folder.

the image editor starts up, if you place a copy of the optix.51.dll next to the image-editor exe
well, the denoised cxr looks a bit weird :)

2018-08-10, 23:18:55
Reply #47

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is it possible in future that ai denoiser take second graphics card without sli
and selection options like how many graphics cards it will take
it gives memory error some times
i have 1070 gpu
« Last Edit: 2018-08-11, 16:59:18 by dekh15425 »

2018-08-11, 00:11:35
Reply #48

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
So Now, with this Optix Denoiser, I've got an 8 min, or so, long min IR rendering, that "for my selfless retail purposes" can match a 45 min .

I'm good w/ that

edit: except, I can't save my CRX
« Last Edit: 2018-08-11, 00:20:53 by Noah45 »
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2018-08-11, 16:22:46
Reply #49

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Optix is doing great. use default denoising amount 0.65 for IR. for final render it works for any value depending on the noise level.
the only issue is when rendering high res images something like 5000 pixels the graphics memory gets stuffed and the fact that the denoiser acts on each VFB refresh is painfully slow, it's slow not because the denoising is slow but because there is a loading and unloading thing going on that freezes the VFB and unfreezes it again.

if there was a denoising button within the VFB that can be clicked whenever the user wants to denoise the image that can save A LOT of power on the GPU side.

because when I'm rendering final I don't want my graphics card to keep denoising and denoising and denoising. it's inefficient, a final denoise or on request denoise is well enough
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2018-08-11, 16:32:50
Reply #50

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Exactly my thoughts. Denoising for regular rendering should be either on demand or applied only at final stage. OTOH, real time denoising for IR is just great!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-08-11, 17:31:20
Reply #51

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
unfortunately for me, then I do not see any point in real-time denoising filter, which greatly slows the process of fine-tuning shaders and materials in IR.
Because of this, it is almost impossible to quickly see the changes in material and bump mapping during turning in IR, that can see faster without using any denoise.
Especially in dielectric materials-- metals,glasses and etc.
and if it can be used only in IR mode and not for faster final result, then why is that thing necessary at all:)) Only as option "as in Vray" ?:)
« Last Edit: 2018-08-11, 17:41:52 by denisgo22 »

2018-08-11, 17:46:32
Reply #52

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nvidia AI Denoiser - it is not taking over the top intensity values in light material
i some times go for lot of values to get perfect glow
also over exposed glossy areas. it gives rainbow kind of results around the edges.
it is also as it says that its AI denoiser and not AI AA Filter. it needs passes
but it gives really fast results for me atleast

2018-08-11, 18:07:33
Reply #53

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
It gives me error sign for missing optix dll.
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2018-08-11, 21:00:48
Reply #54

twcg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It gives me error sign for missing optix dll.

Hi Danio, the install is an option in the Corona installer, you'll need to use Custom and enable it :) It's off by default. It should then install all NVIDIA Optix stuff that you need. Be sure drivers are up to date as well.

2018-08-12, 00:16:38
Reply #55

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This denoiser kicks ass this is ridiculous we are getting closer and closer to actual real time final renders!!! good job team,
for animation work it seems I need to install graphics cards on my nodes to take advantage, figure GTX 1060 will suffice for HD animations?
Cheers and keep it up!

2018-08-12, 02:32:55
Reply #56

dekh15425

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ERROR 1 - It links me to Autosave feature error page by clicking hyperlink in the dilogue box

OptiX denoiser reported an error.

Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtCommandListExecute" caught exception: Assertion failed: "!m_launching : Memory manager launch is already active", file: C:\u\workspace\rel5.1-win64-cuda90-VS2015-build-Release\sw\wsapps\raytracing\rtsdk\rel5.1\src\Memory\MemoryManager.cpp, line: 962)   Learn more »

ERROR - 2 - It links me to Autosave feature error page by clicking hyperlink in the dilogue box

OptiX denoiser reported an error.

Unknown error (Details: Function "_rtCommandListExecute" caught exception: Failed to launch DLDenoiser post-processing stage. DLDenoiser run method failed with error -4711.)   Learn more »
« Last Edit: 2018-08-12, 03:20:52 by dekh15425 »

2018-08-12, 07:17:51
Reply #57

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
unfortunately for me, then I do not see any point in real-time denoising filter, which greatly slows the process of fine-tuning shaders and materials in IR.
Because of this, it is almost impossible to quickly see the changes in material and bump mapping during turning in IR, that can see faster without using any denoise.
Especially in dielectric materials-- metals,glasses and etc.
and if it can be used only in IR mode and not for faster final result, then why is that thing necessary at all:)) Only as option "as in Vray" ?:)

I personally find it very useful for look and feel development.  If I want to fine tune a shader I zoom in during IR and Optix quickly updates.

Also I believe you can turn it off for IR easily in the Performance tab under Render Settings.  And it can be enabled for final denoising as well.

2018-08-12, 15:23:05
Reply #58

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Exactly my thoughts. Denoising for regular rendering should be either on demand or applied only at final stage. OTOH, real time denoising for IR is just great!

I will agree on that. It is waaaaaay too resource consuming. I would recomend bake lightmixer if you are rendering something above 4k. Also It DEFINETLY needs non interactive mode when it is being calculaded only on the render end.

Tho trough all the bug struggle the result is amazing i got proper looking 1920x1440 image in 10 mins of render with 10% of noise on it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2018-08-12, 16:12:35
Reply #59

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Tho trough all the bug struggle the result is amazing i got proper looking 1920x1440 image in 10 mins of render with 10% of noise on it.

Amazing speed wise yes, i agree on that, but image quality leaves much to be desired - i see so many artifacts in your last example. On its own, optix denoising is great, but it's nowhere near to the quality of Corona denoiser. I wouldn't risk to use new denoiser on final images yet.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures