Author Topic: Corona Animation - slaves have to download whole scene every frame?  (Read 5736 times)

2017-05-12, 11:55:39

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Free 3D Trees, Plants, 2 People
Hello
I have 2000 frames animation for big project. 3ds Max file is 1.6 GB + 800 MB textures. All paths for files are UNC (3ds max and assets are on our local server). I see that our render slave (128 GB RAM plus 28 cores) in our render farm is downloading scene and assets from servers for EVERY frame . I'm loosing over 1 minute for that on every frame...Can i turnoff it? This scene with assets should be downloaded ONE TIME to local directory, not downloaded at EVERY frame....
Second problem - i see that 3ds Max is saving whole scene (1.6 Gb) after every rendered frame - is it normal? i'm loosing next 1 minute on it for every frame...How to disable this savings...I turned off abutobacku but it's still saving after every rendered frame.
Please help me save my time and money:)
Greetings
Chris

2017-05-12, 15:34:49
Reply #1

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I forgot to write that i dont want to use backburner but i want to use all slaves to calculate the same frame of animation (every frame is calculated by all slaves).

2017-05-12, 17:21:11
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, I will try to check this asap, if it always works like you describe, then there would be at least two feature requests here. Both make perfect sense.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-05-12, 22:11:05
Reply #3

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We are using Corona 1.6 (BOX license).
We will be so happy if your great Team of Programmers will found some solution for our problem:) Actually i had to split animation with backburner, but it's not perfect solution for me :(
Well - i hope You will have a chance to see what is possible to do with my problem:)
Thank You in advance :) And i have to say that 1.6 version is stable as hell :) 250 hourse of rendering on one machine without problems :) During render i still was able to use Sketchup to produce models and Photoshop to prepare presentations and Samplitude and Ableto Live to create music for presentation :) Amazing and stable 1.6 release :)
Greetings
Chris

2017-05-14, 14:12:59
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi,
yes, saving and downloading scene for every frame is expected - Corona DR is geared more towards single frame rendering, since it is always more efficient to split animations between nodes in whole frames (with backburner, deadline, by hand). Assets should not be downloaded over and over again though - only the .max
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-01-22, 13:06:35
Reply #5

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Has this been solved? I have a very big file with heavy load of big textures and all slaves download all assets each time. All pc`s are on 10Gbe network with direct connection to NAS where all assets are.

2018-01-22, 13:32:47
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I am curious on this one, for those who do not want to use Backburner for an animation - what is the disadvantage with Backburner (or other similar solution)?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-01-22, 15:49:52
Reply #7

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Same goes for stills, not related only to animations. Why are rendering slaves downloading assets when they have direct comunication to all assets?

2018-01-22, 17:58:59
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This is definitely unwanted. Only the assets which cannot be found should be sent from the master to the slave.
Hrvoje, is this happening to you all the time, in any scene, or just in one/some specific scenes?

2018-01-23, 10:02:49
Reply #9

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Maru, I have attached log files of last DR render for check. Let me know if you find something wrong.

2018-01-23, 15:40:38
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I can see two suspicious things, but I am not sure if they are related to the asset sending issue at all:

2018-01-23 09:23:55  Material type 'Autodesk Generic' is not supported.
Offending material: Global
Can you try removing/fixing this material?

2018/01/23 09:20:41 WRN: [10720] [10740] MAXScript Callback script Exception: -- Runtime error: No method found which matched argument list
This is a known issue, but we don't know what is causing this, and what are the effects specifically.

Also two questions:
1) What kind of camera are you using?
2) Is this asset transferring happening for you in all scenes (even very simple like one teapot and one texture), or maybe only in large scenes, or just in one specific scene?

2018-01-24, 09:58:07
Reply #11

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Maru,

It seems to be 3ds max file related, just rendered another job without downloading assets for all slaves, worked fine. Whats the best way to find out whats wrong?

2018-01-24, 10:11:50
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Could you start a new support ticket about this, and send us the problematic scene? https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
If you already did that, can you remind me the ticket number?

Also, could you answer on the questions from my previous post?

2018-01-23 09:23:55  Material type 'Autodesk Generic' is not supported.
Offending material: Global
Can you try removing/fixing this material?

What kind of camera are you using?

2023-12-01, 14:30:15
Reply #13

bertv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maya has a task size option to set how many animation frames backburner has to render before unloading the scene and start the next task size batch.
Not sure 3dsMax has a similar option.

Already asked on Autodesk forums without success :(