Author Topic: Bump/Normal switch  (Read 5270 times)

2020-12-19, 00:38:14

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
While you are about implementing the new Physical Material, you could add a switch/checkbox to choose between "Bump" and "Normal" in the specific area of the material.
Checked, it could add a Normal node all by itself (or in the non-nodal material view insert a Corona Normal shader). It would make material creation (a lot) faster.

2021-01-12, 09:29:32
Reply #1

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
We'll discuss this today. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-01-12, 09:50:51
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The issue I can see with this is that the whole Normal node UI would have to be somehow integrated into the material itself, which could become messy. The RGB flipping options etc are needed because we do not know in what standard the normal maps are created.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-01-12, 11:31:43
Reply #3

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hmm, I think I get what you are saying because for normal maps you always need to bring in the normal shader and so it does get a bit repetitive. I do however agree with Maru that integrating it into the material itself would cause a bit of a bloated UI. From a UX standpoint I don't think that'd work.

Having a button that auto creates the normal shader could be cool but I'd also suggest something a bit different - improving the node material to feature shortcuts to shaders and a search bar (Similar as the Slate editor's left side). That way you can always have your shaders one mouse drag away rather than having to go through the menu or cluttering the material UI.

I think that would improve the overall UX of the node editor and not just the normal shader workflow because you can use the search bar or the shortcuts to access all of the shaders available.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-01-12, 16:55:11
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anything to make the access to the Corona shaders faster would be welcome.

2021-01-13, 09:59:41
Reply #5

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
We talked about it and as a matter of fact, devs in the 3ds team are discussing something similar, so we will sync with them and decide then.

Thanks for the patience,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-01-29, 15:57:49
Reply #6

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-01-29, 20:08:38
Reply #7

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile