Author Topic: Using Adobe Camera Raw to post-process EXR renders  (Read 6052 times)

2021-04-10, 04:42:17

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been trying to use Photoshop to post-process my EXR renders just like I'd do with DNG files. You know better than me the difficulties of this, since Adobe Camera Raw does not support 32 EXR files. My current workaround is to check the "Use adobe Camera Raw to convert documents from 32 bit to 16/8 bit" option in Photoshop preferences. This way, every time I load a 32 bit EXR render in Photoshop and change from 32 bit to 8 bit, Photoshop will launch ACR in order to tonemap the image. 

However, after messing around with this method for a while, I've started to question myself wheatear this is really working or not since it doesn't really feel like editing a real RAW image. I mean, am I really being able to access the whole dynamic range of the EXR using this workaround? If you have already tried this method, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

SG

2021-05-10, 13:23:42
Reply #1

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you thought about giving Affinity Photo a try? its cheap and has full exr support.
Every workaround I've tried with PS has not ended well :(

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/HDR/openexr.html?title=32-bit%20OpenEXR%20support

2021-05-10, 14:23:02
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Darktable is free and offers 32-bit EXR editing (I have no idea how good it is though, I only used it for usual camera RAWs).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-05-10, 14:47:59
Reply #3

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
agreed on Affinity Photo. even version for ipad with simple curves adjustment layer can do more in regards to tonemapping than full Photoshop.

years ago I was using ArionFX plugin (for PS) and it was very decent.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-05-10, 17:39:09
Reply #4

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also I just notices that Affinity is on half price at 25 euro for a perpetual licence - which is pretty much giving it away!

2021-05-11, 22:12:38
Reply #5

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, I guess I'll have to accept that Photoshop/ACR is not meant to be used for 32bit EXR editing. I really like the simplicity of ACR but maybe it's time to try something different like the options you guys mentioned.

2021-05-12, 11:03:48
Reply #7

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
also - if the only goal you are after is the ability to access full hdr of a render in post you might consider converting it from linear to any log color first. this would be 16 bit document in PS and all the tools would be available.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-05-18, 22:57:04
Reply #8

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
bit of an update - after playing with Affinity a bit I found a solution that should make non-destructive tone mapping in PS a little easier:

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-05-19, 20:51:25
Reply #9

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
bit of an update - after playing with Affinity a bit I found a solution that should make non-destructive tone mapping in PS a little easier:

thanks for sharing!