Author Topic: Gobo Lights  (Read 307 times)

2024-04-11, 09:53:36

LeSill

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, folks.
I just saw a video of one of the Corona Masterclass sessions in which the instructor discussed using Gobo. Unfortunately, I couldn't pay attention and missed how to make a good gobo effect. I intended to utilize it today, but I'm not sure where to put the picture for the gobo effects when using an area light or a sector light. Do you know how to create the gobo effect and adjust the softness?
Many thanks!

2024-04-11, 10:34:55
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
For best results, use a standard C4D light, a standard C4D material and add your texture to the alpha channel. Assign it to the light and change the projection to flat. Turn off ''tile'' and adjust the scale if need be. One thing to note is that this will not show up with IR but it will with a final render. If you want IR you can use Cinema's IRR.

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-04-11, 11:45:57
Reply #2

LeSill

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for replying. So, Nikos Nikolopoulos utilized this technique during the Archviz Masterclass? I'm not sure whether you saw it, but he was able to effectively manipulate the Gobos, etc.

2024-04-11, 11:53:33
Reply #3

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Thank you for replying. So, Nikos Nikolopoulos utilized this technique during the Archviz Masterclass? I'm not sure whether you saw it, but he was able to effectively manipulate the Gobos, etc.

I haven't seen it but feel free to share a link and I'll check it out. ;)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-04-11, 14:04:56
Reply #4

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know its been mentioned MANY times before, but I really feel that the ability to do this with cornona lights is a much needed feature. Pretty much every other engine can make sharp spotlights for this puropse. I'm really not sure why it seems to be in development limbo

2024-04-11, 14:05:26
Reply #5

LeSill

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, the lessons were only available online. There is no record of them. It was sponsored and organized by Chaos, so you might discover something about it.

2024-04-11, 14:55:23
Reply #6

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
I know its been mentioned MANY times before, but I really feel that the ability to do this with cornona lights is a much needed feature. Pretty much every other engine can make sharp spotlights for this puropse. I'm really not sure why it seems to be in development limbo

I am with you on this and have always pushed it. The current way Corona lights handle textures is not usable imho. The fight continues :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-04-11, 14:56:16
Reply #7

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Unfortunately, the lessons were only available online. There is no record of them. It was sponsored and organized by Chaos, so you might discover something about it.

Thanks, I found this out as well. :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-04-11, 15:22:05
Reply #8

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
in this Masterclass video he uses max native lights for gobos, also no corona lights. (so is similar as using c4d lights).

2024-04-11, 15:36:24
Reply #9

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
in this Masterclass video he uses max native lights for gobos, also no corona lights. (so is similar as using c4d lights).

Thanks Stefan, good to know :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!