General Category > Hardware

DUAL XEON Vs small render farm node

(1/4) > >>

zacuttialberto:
Hi guys,

I'm ready to renew my workstation and now there is the big question:

Make a work station multifunctional (modeling & rendering station) or make a Modeling workstation supported by a 3/4 machine mini ITX with 2011-v3 i7 proc?

The main thing that i don't know exactly (i never use this kind of solution) is if it's possible to see the result on going like in a rendering workstation or i have to wait the end of the rendering process and then see the result through saved picture managed by backburner?
Will be working the interactive rendering or it will use only the CPU of the modeling workstation.

Any comment or suggest are appreciated.

Best Regards

Alberto

Juraj:

--- Quote from: zacuttialberto on 2014-11-14, 10:26:17 ---Make a work station multifunctional (modeling & rendering station)?

--- End quote ---

Yes. Get the best for your money, don't waste single box.

--- Quote from: zacuttialberto on 2014-11-14, 10:26:17 ---a 3/4 machine mini ITX with 2011-v3 i7 proc?

--- End quote ---

There is no LG2011 Mini-ITX board, the socket itself is too large to make that possible.

Other questions:

Yes, you can watch progress done using distributed rendering or Backburner (or combination, Backburner using distributed), no need to wait for finish.

--- Quote from: zacuttialberto on 2014-11-14, 12:13:17 ---
this because one my option was to set up a small workstation based on As Rock MB and install a 12 or 18 core XEON.

--- End quote ---

Single or Dual ? It's unclear and makes big difference ( in thread title you ask about Dual-Xeon, but in the topic you mentioned just single ? Maybe worth clarify.)

zacuttialberto:
I'm thinking to go for dual

Ciao

Alberto

Fibonacci:
Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine. All in one, like Juraj wrote.

But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro ! And it's deepend what you want...Laptop or desktop ?  Anyway, the best solution is, if you DON'T build your workstation.
If you want to use the Corona, than the GPU you need only for the modeling...For the rendering stronger CPU is the solution, and the DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget... I thinking like this...And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

Cheers!

Juraj:

--- Quote from: Fibonacci on 2014-11-15, 16:12:32 ---Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Fibonacci on 2014-11-15, 16:12:32 ---
But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro !

--- End quote ---

The DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget

--- End quote ---

And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

--- End quote ---

Please stop.

Why do you give advice on something you have no idea about ? Don't answer, it's rhetorical question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version