General Category > General CG Discussion

moskitos anyone?

(1/4) > >>

fellazb:
Hi there,

A few days ago this engine caught my eye and I'm seriously wondering what the bottleneck is (except for having a massive workstation and running on a GPU environment I pressume).

http://www.cebas.com/?pid=productinfo&prd_id=175

The one thing that I find the most amazing feature is that it handles all sort of (Autodesk) shaders without converting them and is very smoothly integrated within the 3DS MAX environment. Has  anybody used this software already and are there some things that Corona could benefit from?

crazyman:
meeeh.... no OpenCL only CUDA, and max 2 GPU's per machine. On the top of that, you MUST have CUDA device, no CPU render is supported. Also some features you expect them to be present, are not natively supported such as Fur and Hair. If I had to choose, I rather go for VrayRT.

Ludvik Koutny:
I was actually quite interested in it...  but it failed even at rendering teapot on a plane... (i may have done something wrong, and probably did, but i did not want to spend much time figuring out how to do something as easy) so i gave up quickly :)

fellazb:
So it's just another "too good to be true" thing then? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this so far. Ah well, I wasn't planning on leaving Corona that soon :)

Ludvik Koutny:
It looks really good on the paper. Marketing departments are always doing a great job of making something look great on website presentation or paper. I was actually very excited about it...  when i read they support everything from MentalRay (which i know) and that they have overcome most of the limitations. And that their interactive rendering is really seamless. But once i tried it, actual truth was very different.

Lots of things are still not supported, or working in a weird manner, and the main limitation - GPU memory- which Redshift has found some way around, is present in moskito...  so unless you have at least Titan Z with 12GB RAM, there's not much of a chance to render some more complex scenes.

Usually, you see some well built web presentation and hype video, and then once you try yourself, you are disappointed. I like Corona because Ondra does the exact opposite. There's not much of an aggressive marketing trying to oversell the product, and once you give it a try, you are pleasantly surprised, because it is above your expectations, instead of below them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version