General Category > Hardware

Better rig but 4x slower render.

<< < (2/2)

rowmanns:
I would also recommend updating to the latest BIOS. We have a i9-1200k in the office and the performance was improved with the latest BIOS.

A word of warning, only update it if you are comfortable doing it. I don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong.

Cheers,

Rowan

Börje:
Does anybody know if an update to Win 11 would also improve performance on a threadripper-system?
I'm using an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor @ 2.90 GHz.

Regards

Börje

yashicagoyal:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2022-03-10, 11:44:24 ---You should never look at the topmost results in the benchmark, those speeds are not sustainable in everyday work. Usually they are there for record chasing and are achieved with extreme overclocking. Your score of 01:05 sits about in the middle of all submisions for that particular CPU, which is normal. If you have good cooling and your temps sits pretty low, then you can do some overclocking to squeze more performance, otherwise i'd suggest not to stress about it too much, it looks like your PC is working normally and that's what matters most.

--- End quote ---

I understand.

On Corona forums, obviously, people only talk about the render time, and rightly so because only professionals are here and they model on another PC and render on the other one. But for college folks, who can't afford multiple PCs. We have to take care of 3Ds MAX's requirements too. AFAIK, Corona takes full advantage of multicore but 3ds max doesn't. It needs higher speed /core.  That's what is putting us in a fix. I have to make another rig for my friend because of the enormous work our college has given us. We searched a lot but we're unable to see a guide or help around the internet to find the sweet spot. We need faster cores AND more cores.

We searched around for the most recommended CPUs(attached is the rough Excel figures which I made containing their single core and multicore speed for Max and Corona along with their prices.) and we're thinking of getting i9-12900K this time on a MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 with RTX 3060(really high prices of GPUs here). 5950x looks a tad bit better than 12900K for corona but it looks a lot worse for 3ds max because of low single core speed. Do you think you point us to a direction where we can get on a sweet spot to get the best bang for the buck?

I know this is completely off-topic now but just trying my luck here!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version