Author Topic: Is there a way to get a mask for/from decals  (Read 1197 times)

2022-05-23, 13:52:18

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there a way to get a mask rendered for decals?
For instance, in the attached image is there a way to render a mask for the pink parts which are a Corona Decal in this case?
Material ID, Object ID, or anything else dont seem to work.
Previously in situations like these, I would have to make a second render with a black material override for all the materials in a scene, and then turn all the label/decal materials into self-illuminating materials to get a black and white render to use as a mask in post. I was under the impression that Corona Decals would spare me the second render.

2022-05-30, 00:12:43
Reply #1

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No one? Nothing?
This seems like a glaring omission.

2022-05-30, 01:41:43
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
An ID mask set to object should generate a mask for the Decal (and if opacity is used in the Decal material, the mask will be invisible where the object is transparent). Does that do what you are looking for?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-05-30, 11:52:52
Reply #3

ficdogg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It works, but only kind of.
The colors are random and ofter very close to each other which would make keying a pain.
But the bigger issue is that every decal object gets a different color, and in my use case I would have 6 products with 4 decals each, that would be insane and messy to key, it'd be faster just to rerender it like I always do.

I still don't know why material stacking makes it impossible to get a mask out of the stacked material.