Author Topic: Proxy materials get confused  (Read 1807 times)

2021-11-26, 16:05:21

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi,

I make a proxy and the materials all get messed up. This has been happening to multiple objects/files today. Never noticed anything like this before.

Hopefully the video explains the situation well...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-11-26, 16:30:15
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi, sorry, more info:

Latest daily (Nov 5 I think?), Max 2021. Windows 10.

Here is a screenshot of the material, if it helps? It's a pretty heft multi material with 21 layers. I suspect this is the cause, but I can't be sure...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-12-08, 16:01:10
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, sorry for the delay. Next time, in such cases, I would highly advise contacting us at https://corona-renderer.com/link/contact-support

I have some further questions about this:
1. Is the original car model made of separate objects or is it a single mesh with multiple elements?
2. Which exact version of Corona and 3ds Max are you using?
3. Can you list simple steps how to reproduce this issue with some simple geometry like boxes?

I _think_ what happens here is:
- your original car is made of multiple separate meshes each having a different material applied to it
- you convert that into a single proxy object which results in a single mesh with multiple elements
- this proxy has only one material applied to it (since a single proxy cannot have multiple materials applied to it - like the original objects did)

I am sure that the proxy is created with different material IDs so one solution would be to create a new multi/sub material, apply it to the proxy object, and find out which of the original materials should be plugged into which of the multi/sub slots.
One way to find out would be probably to temporarily convert the proxy into a mesh and check which material IDs are applied to which elements. Alternatively, you could plug some odd-looking material (e.g. pure red) into each slot of the multi/sub material and this way find out which mesh element should be using which material ID.

I am afraid at this point we cannot offer a one-click solution, but we may improve this in the future.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-12-08, 16:02:03
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Another idea: convert all the original car objects to editable poly and attach them together first. This will basically crate a new multi/sub material for you. Then convert this mesh into a Corona Proxy and use the same multi/sub material.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us