Author Topic: Windows 10 - how to avoid an upgrade  (Read 27011 times)

2016-07-27, 22:27:12

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!

I have Windows 7 now and I don't want to switch to Windows 10 atleast now. But I know that some people already have problem - win 7 automaticaly upgraded to win 10. I don't want get suprised like that. I don't like this agressive pressure from Microsoft at all. This is why I switched off windows automaticaly updates and uninstalled update which was offering upgrade to win 10. But now I have some problems with Corona, because it needs latest windows updates for it's work. For example I have problem with Building acc. structure (reported here https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12556.0.html). I've checked threads on this forum and found this https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12563.0.html and of course this one https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12409.0.html. And it seems to me that my problem can be solved by windows updating.

Do you guys know the way how to get windows updates and do not get Windows 10 as a surprise one day? Or maybe you know the names of updates which contain those windows upgraders/installers, so I could install all updates exept those ones?

Also would be interesting to know opinion about Windows 10 from those who already have it.

Thanks in advanced!

2016-07-27, 23:13:03
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello there!

I heard this thing is effective -> http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html but I have literally no experience with it. Just putting it out there, hope it is useful :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2016-07-27, 23:47:53
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-07-28, 01:17:47
Reply #3

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What's wrong with W10? I see your point in the aggresive pressure that Microsoft is doing, but from my personal opinion I don't have any problem with the OS and all the installed programs run fine. I even heard Ondra saying that Corona even runs better under W10.

Just make sure you avoid the express install and untick all the options you have. I updated only because I could access the 32 Gb of RAM which was unavailable for W7 Home edition, but never regret it actually.

2016-07-28, 09:18:21
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Also would be interesting to know opinion about Windows 10 from those who already have it.

Here's mine:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12107.msg81849.html#msg81849

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-07-28, 10:33:27
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Frood, that post of yours tipped the scales in favour of upgrading to win10 for me couple days ago :] That was my smoothest ever experience of changing OS - virtually no difference from win7. And Corona runs great, as it did in win7. No regrets so far.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-07-28, 11:02:54
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I even heard Ondra saying that Corona even runs better under W10.
To be honest, Corona runs fine on all OS as long as you have windows updates installed. So Windows 10 is better in this regard because you cannot stop updates :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-07-28, 12:26:36
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
No regrets so far.

And somehow it´s refreshing not to see that old win7 who** for another seven years almost every day :o)

Good Luck

2016-07-28, 12:34:40
Reply #8

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And if you're planning on upgrading better be quick because the free update will last till the end of this friday. Otherwise it'll cost you.

2016-07-28, 12:40:23
Reply #9

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
And if you're planning on upgrading better be quick because the free update will last till the end of this friday. Otherwise it'll cost you.
AFAIK, you can upgrade your Windows and down grade again. Your key will then be life-time licenced for Windows 10. So you can actually migrate to Windows 10 at a later date.
Don't quote me on that though :D
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-07-28, 12:51:13
Reply #10

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Yes, almost. Because it has to be the same computer where you do this. There is no "key" anymore, it´s bound to the hardware configuration and this is saved on deep, sinister, evil M$-servers ;]

Good Luck

2016-07-28, 16:18:56
Reply #11

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I've upgraded today to get it for 'free'. It went super smoothly, didn't expect that. Everything seems to work fine and Win10 feels much snappier.

One thing that makes me really happy is that for some reason network connection to our NAS are much faster now. Before, it took sometimes a few seconds until I could access a folder or files and now they display instantly and load faster... not sure why, it maybe 'repaired' some wrong settings upon installing.

I have Win10 running on 4 PCs now without any additional costs, not bad if you ask me.

2016-07-28, 16:29:29
Reply #12

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Interesting albeit a little off topic debate going on here :P

Personally I don't like the direction they went with spyware, removing a lot of the windows update controls and introduced a couple of extra steps when it comes to working with the computer. I don't even want to go into the depths of the whole "forced upgrade" stuff. That is the reason I am voting with my wallet and staying with 8.1 - which has its own problems but has worked great ever since (yes, some extra steps of doing everyday stuff are in there too, at least compared to W7) especially if you are checking which upgrades get installed.

But bottom line, to each his own. If it works for you, if you are happy with it, its your call to make! :) Have fun!

edit: with regards to avoiding the upgrade, could you report back if the link worked for ya? I've heard it does for some people but other people's PCs just auto-upgrade over night...
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2016-07-28, 17:11:59
Reply #13

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Personally I don't like the direction they went with spyware, removing a lot of the windows update controls and introduced a couple of extra steps when it comes to working with the computer.
None of the old interfaces are gone, just disabled. I re-enabled all of them , since I hate the new one as well. Especially the system control panels, which hide quick to access things like adapter settings behind awfully laid out submenus.

First thing I do when I install Win10 on any machine (half of it by script I wrote), is uninstalling all cortana, xbox, search index, telemetry, windows defender, etc. -services, -files, purging directories, disabling windows update service after a manual update, fix sizing the pagefile and disabling superfetch and the whole prefetch sub system.
Only then am I happy and everything boots fast, runs fast and never slows down.

I don't exactly agree with windows 10 being the main offender here, since this stuff did slowly get introduced when we made the jump from windows build 5 to windows build 6 with Vista. Feature creep was always a thing, it was just in the background up to Win8. Many features are really smart in the context of a laptop and low end systems, but with high end workstations it get's only in the way of performance.
But other than that, each new release did introduce at least something that made a general improvement, regardless of the main target device group.

For me with windows 10 it actually was not compressed desktop background images as an optional windows 10 regestry edit :D
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-07-28, 19:12:33
Reply #14

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, they come a bit dirty from the shop. Tho, if you're able to dwell into, it gives much more  than any other version before. God mode on ;)