Author Topic: Displacement Modifier  (Read 623 times)

2024-02-21, 17:13:19

FilipSrbin

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

When should I use Corona Displacemnt Modifer and when should I not use it but just use it in material instead?

Thank you! :D

2024-02-21, 18:41:08
Reply #1

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you show a render of before and after?

The way I see it, is the same as all material settings. Do you need displacement, then use it. Is it not neccesary, dont use it.

2024-02-21, 19:34:32
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Use the Displacement Modifier if you want to have particular settings for that use of displacement - e.g. for an object that goes behind the camera but is still seen in reflections so needs to have the same quality of displacement even when out of the camera frustum, then you can use the Displacement Modifier so that object is set to World, leaving everything else in the scene set to the more memory friendly Screen. Or if you want to raise the displacement quality on one particular use (by having a smaller Screen value for just that object). That's the main use for it.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-21, 19:37:51
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
(It will also let you have one displacement consistently across a whole object, even if that object has different materials, without having to go and recreate the displacement individually in each material, as another potential use)

2024-02-21, 22:47:55
Reply #4

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Use the Displacement Modifier if you want to have particular settings for that use of displacement - e.g. for an object that goes behind the camera but is still seen in reflections so needs to have the same quality of displacement even when out of the camera frustum, then you can use the Displacement Modifier so that object is set to World, leaving everything else in the scene set to the more memory friendly Screen. Or if you want to raise the displacement quality on one particular use (by having a smaller Screen value for just that object). That's the main use for it.

I was actually wondering the same question but it never came to my mind asking it here for some reason.
Thanks TomG, makes sense.

2024-02-22, 12:46:55
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome!