Author Topic: Right Maps flow for good displacements behavior  (Read 646 times)

2024-01-23, 19:38:45

savat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, my question is related to a blurry effect of displacement in complex materials using some maps like randomizer, distance and triplanar.
An example:

- I create a ground material using PBR maps as bitmaps/randomizer textmap to avoid ripetitive patterns/triplanar map to obtain the better UV from non planar shapes;
- add other ground material with different maps (i.e. grass for orizontal faces, rock for vertical faces, mud for road tracks);
- blend all materials in a layered material using other procedural maps like just mentioned AO, triplanar etc.

Now, with all these blending steps I loose sharpen displacement behavior.

How you prevent this? Or better...do you use different procedures to obtain better results? Thanks in advance.

2024-01-23, 20:37:13
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
[..]triplanar map to obtain the better UV from non planar shapes[..]

Better UV compared to what? Triplanar is just advanced box (cubic) mapping, it will not give you good UVs unless your objects are boxy or planar and the more your mesh's topology will differ from those shapes, the worse UV you will get. If you want good UVs on arbitrary shaped mesh, you need to unwrap them manually, but this can be labor intensive process and you also need to take care of the seams, that's why we have triplanar - for the cases when sloppy box UVs are good enough. Similar story with mapping randomizer, if you enable stochastic randomization, you must except the fact that some blending of overlapped texture tiles will occurs. That's the price you must pay for speed and convenience. Both maps offers control for blending amount and randomizer also has HQ blending mode. Use these to achieve what you think is best compromise of quality vs visible seams.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-02-26, 08:44:45
Reply #2

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Did Romullus' suggestions work for you?
Do you need further help with anything?
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-02-27, 10:45:12
Reply #3

savat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Aram, there's a little minsunderstooding in my request/romullus answer...I agree whit the fact that "the faster the texturing, the worse the result will be" but I'm expetting better results in complex ground (in this case) materials. I expect a better "faster" workflow than mine if there are alternatives. Thanks.

2024-02-27, 12:13:19
Reply #4

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Aram, there's a little minsunderstooding in my request/romullus answer...I agree whit the fact that "the faster the texturing, the worse the result will be" but I'm expetting better results in complex ground (in this case) materials. I expect a better "faster" workflow than mine if there are alternatives. Thanks.

This should be discussed on the very case you have.
Can you please send a ticket at: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and attach the scene?
The rest of the communication will be there, and we may also update this thread afterwards.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-02-27, 13:06:35
Reply #5

savat

• Active Users
    • View Profile