Author Topic: xeon v4 cpus  (Read 55046 times)

2018-01-15, 17:43:45
Reply #90

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I know this is a wee bit off-topic, but I'd much rather prefer to work with top-end i7 chips than Xeons... Had a 20-core Xeon machine - it was slow in single-threaded tasks (say....MAX viewport!) at 2.6GHz and got superseded by a heavily overclocked 8-core i7-5960X (from 3.2GHz all-core to 4.5GHz all-core, on water). cheaper, much more responsive and a pleasure to extract more power from by overclocking. You do lose out on being able to have hundreds of gigs of RAM and having more than one socket, but for a workstation I wouldn't ever buy a Xeon anymore...at least not with those pathetic clocks...

Latest gens of Xeons can overclock single/two/four cores up to 3.6+ Ghz, they don't suffer from slow single-thread tasks at all.

And previously, i7s were much slower in multithreaded, making them poor choice for people who do a lot of quick test renders and interactive. Having monster machine can really speed up look development workflow in cpu renderers.

But right now I would agree. The best workstation right now is overclocked i9 7980XE. Basically Xeon machine.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-01-15, 17:47:09
Reply #91

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
I know this is a wee bit off-topic, but I'd much rather prefer to work with top-end i7 chips than Xeons... Had a 20-core Xeon machine - it was slow in single-threaded tasks (say....MAX viewport!) at 2.6GHz and got superseded by a heavily overclocked 8-core i7-5960X (from 3.2GHz all-core to 4.5GHz all-core, on water). cheaper, much more responsive and a pleasure to extract more power from by overclocking. You do lose out on being able to have hundreds of gigs of RAM and having more than one socket, but for a workstation I wouldn't ever buy a Xeon anymore...at least not with those pathetic clocks...
Probably you're right, especially with your xeon machine (I guess it is a quite old one). Since xeon E5 v3 and v4 announced, it's much better than E5 v1.

2018-01-15, 21:59:07
Reply #92

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Do you know when the new gold xeons are going to be available Juraj or anyone?

2018-01-16, 10:14:48
Reply #93

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile

Latest gens of Xeons can overclock single/two/four cores up to 3.6+ Ghz, they don't suffer from slow single-thread tasks at all.

And previously, i7s were much slower in multithreaded, making them poor choice for people who do a lot of quick test renders and interactive. Having monster machine can really speed up look development workflow in cpu renderers.

But right now I would agree. The best workstation right now is overclocked i9 7980XE. Basically Xeon machine.

3.6 sounds slow to me, considering my grandpa Haswell-E chip can handle 4.6-4.7 at the same core amount, albeit the IPC is slower than the new chips. I think I saw that i9 handle 4.8GHz on all cores somewhere, which is huge IMO.
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2018-01-16, 11:38:41
Reply #94

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Rimas,

While I agree with what you are saying I only agree to an extent :P I have a dual Xeon that reaches 3.8ghz using a single core and its slower in lightly threaded tasks than my i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz. From my experience the difference is not that huge. Especially not so in the viewport. Some sims take longer to run but generally for most stuff I don't notice the difference.

That said, in IPR and any multi-threaded tasks (rendering, video conversion) the difference is obviously huge.

So from my point of view its like taking a little out of the single threaded speed and gigantically improve multi threaded speed.

Ultimately I do think it depends on what you do. If you mainly do smaller / medium sized scenes the difference I think its negligable compared to the rendering boost (IPR).

If you do VFX and mainly render / sim on 2-4 threads, ha, its probably better to go the other route and invest into a 4.8 or whatever CPU :) As a matter of fact, the 4790k I used to use before the Xeons is now the perfect workstation for my significant other. She is using it in Marvelous Designer and the speed gains on those 2-4 threads are really big for her.

Being primarily a c4d user myself I can also say that I haven't noticed a big difference in viewport speed in the said app. C4D traditionally really likes fast cores.

Even if the viewport has 20fps instead of 30fps (fictional numbers, haven't done the tests) I can still get the previews so much faster than before because of the IPR speed... Obviously something like MD would be a different story probably.

Now like you said, and I totally agree with you on this part, if the max speed for your CPU is like 3.2ghz I think you'll definitely notice it being slower in quite a few areas. Heck, the speeds you posted a few posts back are lower than my current all-core boost.

The biggest drawback is obviously that to get above 3.4 ghz on a dual Xeon system you probably need to pay through the nose for it.

I mean thats just my point of view anyway. Like I said, I think it depends on what you are doing. From that point of view  GPU rendering seems fun because you can load it on a highly clocked / low core CPU and still get great rendering speeds. There are obviously other limitations there though...

I was very skeptical of the single threaded speed before buying the Xeons but in the end it turned out to be a great choice for what -I DO-. :)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-16, 11:42:21 by nkilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-01-16, 13:24:08
Reply #95

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is a point where placebo effect becomes a fetish ;- ). Personally, below 5 GHz, even sending files to trash-bin feels slow.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-01-18, 17:06:35
Reply #96

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
I haven't tested with the latest 3DS MAX version, but the differences between my old Xeons and the overclocked 5960X were truly big (like 50% or more) in viewport framerates. Cause - MAX viewport is single-threaded. I had a bit of a battle over it with Autodesk's technician once as it seemed pathetic to me. I noticed it when I upgraded my GPUs and a scene that rendered at 15fps never improved speed, which prompted a "WTF???" from me :D

Anyway, I do a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, Muse and Lightroom work eith a decent bit of 3D modeling and rendering, so I primarily favor fast cores for snappyness in those programs - I hate it when software is slower than me :D (Hell, I work on a 165Hz display too xD)
For rendering - my 5960X still does very well and we get by. Sure would be nice to tap into the lastest i9 CPUs or dual Xeons over 64 cores, but there's no need for it now as I'll just backburner or DR the bigger jobs overnight to the other workstations.
I also have an identical system at home with a bunch of GTX  1080s and 1080Tis which I use for FStorm rendering and gaming - the 5960X is also very well-versed there. But I appreciate it that my needs are different - I like a snappy all-rounder of a machine. :)
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2018-01-29, 05:26:29
Reply #97

SaY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
They are available for a while now. At least Platinums, running a pair of them in my main rig. No overclocking though,  but ASUS may allow some with their C621e Sage m/b - not available yet.

2018-01-29, 09:43:50
Reply #98

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
They are available for a while now. At least Platinums, running a pair of them in my main rig. No overclocking though,  but ASUS may allow some with their C621e Sage m/b - not available yet.

I`m building 3 Xeon Platinum systems atm, waiting for memory as none of our current systems memory don`t work with it. One has C621e mobo, will post oc-ing resaults if any.

2018-01-29, 11:10:06
Reply #99

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation

2018-01-29, 11:19:44
Reply #100

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
No, just found great bargain on 28 core ES platinums on ebay. All 2cpu systems.

2018-01-29, 15:02:36
Reply #101

SaY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I`m building 3 Xeon Platinum systems atm, waiting for memory as none of our current systems memory don`t work with it. One has C621e mobo, will post oc-ing resaults if any.
Cant wait to hear the o/c results.
Where did you get the C621e mobo? I can't find it anywhere..

2018-01-29, 15:28:30
Reply #102

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Cant wait to hear the o/c results.
Where did you get the C621e mobo? I can't find it anywhere..

Got it from my local supplier (Croatia), I think it came from Germany.

2018-01-29, 16:39:04
Reply #103

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
SaY, how many PCs do you have ? And do you build these for fun or for your office ?

To be honest I am jelly of these plat xeons ES. Had no idea people were already buying these, nor that they were available.

2018-01-29, 17:16:03
Reply #104

SaY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj, I tried to PM you but it seems to be blocked - can you PM me?