Author Topic: Advice on new Workstation for beginner  (Read 16671 times)

2015-10-15, 15:58:21
Reply #30

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
but then again he would need to go with a cheaper case, cheaper SSD and cheaper cooler compared to the last build (1840e).

Which, in total picture, are much more important components for workstation then raw benchmark power of slightly higher performance part.

When I was 12 years old, this is how me and all my friends tried to build their gaming rigs, get the best GPU and the rest can be made from paper. I mean who cares if the cheap PSU will explode 2 months later :- )
It's just not rational approach, no matter how 'street-smart'/'best bang for bucks' it appears on paper. It's like buying fiat punto and putting V8 motor inside.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-10-15, 16:24:15
Reply #31

David Males

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • David Males Imagery
Given you buy from Alza.sk I am going to ask where you reside :-  )?

Hah I knew you would notice. I'm from Trencin, but I did my bachelor in Denmark and currently still live here. But I think I plan to move back to Slovakia in few years.
Actually I had a conversation with you on facebook once, about internship at BEEF, and that's what actually got me even more interested in CG world, especially Archviz. I just finished bachelor few months back, and I am probably too lazy to do master's, so archviz seem like a good choice, vs. architecture where I would have to study another 2 years and then get a lots of years of experience to finally be able to do my own work. I am pretty much enjoying both the same, so for now I want to focus on archviz and try to find some first clients and improve step by step (until I'm at your level haha). Well and maybe I could do architecture and interior design as a hobby or so. I'm just 23 so there is a lot of time to figure out:)

Anyways, Thanks guys for your comments here, now I have much more knowledge of putting pc together so it's balanced. Anyway, I think the prices might change within next 2 months, so hopefully I would be able to save some more. This year Christmas will be epic :D

2015-10-15, 17:48:06
Reply #32

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ah..I don't remember. So did you took the internship ?

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-10-15, 18:06:15
Reply #33

David Males

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • David Males Imagery
Yup, but just for 5 months or so as it was mandatory part of my education and then I had to go back to DK. But still I was really happy to spend some time home and also their team is chilled and friendly hah :) But to be honest, I was quite horrified how low the actual salary is for the starting architects there, I mean Slovakia as a whole :D Considering how much workload and working hours are there..  Anyway, I was doing some visualizations for them and it got me that feeling that this could be the way for me, so here I am)

One question I wanted to ask you for a long time now, do you also take interns to your studio? Or "part-time" workers? I actually was considering asking you back then, but as it was outside of range of my education, I probably couldn't go anyway. And now I am not a student any longer so.. :D

(anyway, I think this goes quite out of the subject here:D)

2015-10-15, 18:13:58
Reply #34

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sorry for the off-topic then. Can I add you on FB ? We can continue there

https://www.facebook.com/juraj.talcik

2016-01-07, 19:29:28
Reply #35

David Males

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • David Males Imagery
Hey guys, It's been quite a while since this topic, and I wanted to thank you all once again for your advices.
I was thinking a little update would be appropriate :)
So after all I spent approx. 2500 euros:

MB: asus x99-pro
PS: Evga 750W
Box: Fractal Design Define S
CPU: 5960x
GPU: Asus gtx 970 OC
Ram: 32GB Kingston 2666mhz 4x8
CPU cooler : Noctua d-15
SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO
HDD : WD Black 1TB for now
and additional 2 noctua 140mm Pwn coolers for the case

So far I am very satisfied, haven't had that much time play with it that much during Christmas break though,
Now I am doing some overclocking via UEFI, currently I am testing 4.5ghz on 1.2v with XMP activated for RAM,
Can you advice me what is the best stability test? and how long should I run it? Currently I am using Aida64 and after one hour it seems pretty stable, I think I have to try at least 8 hours..
CPU Temperatures keep under 80, with average 60-70, motherboard is stable at 30..
When I try 3ds max rendering the temperatures usually stay under 65, which I hope is ok :)

That's it, anyway Happy new year to everyone and good luck with your renders:)

Kind regard,
David

« Last Edit: 2016-01-08, 11:11:17 by David_Males »

2016-01-08, 09:42:48
Reply #36

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, It's been quite a while since this topic, and I wanted to thank you all once again for your advices.
I was thinking a little update would be appropriate :)
So after all I spent approx. 2500 euros:

MB: asus x99-pro
PS: Evga 750W
Box: Fractal Design Define S
CPU: 5960x
Ram: 32GB Kingston 2666mhz 4x8
CPU cooler : Noctua d-15
SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO
HDD : WD Black 1TB for now
and additional 2 noctua 140mm Pwn coolers for the case

So far I am very satisfied, haven't had that much time play with it that much during Christmas break though,
Now I am doing some overclocking via UEFI, currently I am testing 4.5ghz on 1.2v with XMP activated for RAM,
Can you advice me what is the best stability test? and how long should I run it? Currently I am using Aida64 and after one hour it seems pretty stable, I think I have to try at least 8 hours..
CPU Temperatures keep under 80, with average 60-70, motherboard is stable at 30..
When I try 3ds max rendering the temperatures usually stay under 65, which I hope is ok :)

That's it, anyway Happy new year to everyone and good luck with your renders:)

Kind regard,
David
Nice system, and thanks for the update! ;)

As for stress testing, I'm always using LinX. It usually gets the temps higher than any rendering, but if the system is stable under that, it works fine rendering even during hot summer days :)