Author Topic: Need Help with Random Crashes Using Corona IR in 3ds Max  (Read 699 times)

2023-11-08, 08:45:12

adilcgartist

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello fellow forum members,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm encountering an issue with Corona IR in 3ds Max, and I'm hoping to get some guidance from this community. The problem is rather perplexing as it doesn't always crash my 3ds Max software, but when it does, it's quite frustrating. Here's some relevant information:

Issue: Random crashes with Corona IR in 3ds Max.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF
Motherboard: Z790 Aorus Elite
RAM: XPG Lancer DDR5 RGB 6000MHz 64GB (32GBx2)
GPU: Palit RTX 4090
PSU: CORSAIR HX 1200
Cooling: ID-COOLING ZOOMFLOW 360 XT
I also have a second PC with identical specifications, except for the graphics card:

GPU in 2nd PC: AMD RX 6600 XT 8GB
Surprisingly, the second PC is not experiencing any crashes when using Corona IR. It's working flawlessly.

Troubleshooting Steps:
I have already attempted the following troubleshooting steps:

Reinstallation of the Windows operating system.
Reinstallation of 3ds Max and Corona Renderer (tried both Corona 9 and Corona 10).
Changing the RAM modules.
Putting stress on both CPU and GPU, which seems to work fine without any issues.
Despite these efforts, the problem persists on my primary PC. I'd greatly appreciate any advice, tips, or potential solutions you might have. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or have insights into what might be causing this discrepancy between the two PCs?

Your help would be immensely valuable in resolving this issue, and I look forward to your suggestions. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards
Adil

2023-11-08, 09:37:45
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,

Do you have real-time denoising enabled on your first PC? You can check it in render setup>performance>interactive rendering. Try to turn it off and see if 3ds max is still crashing during interactive rendering. Since your second PC does not have Nvidia GPU, real-time denoiser is not available in that configuration - that might explain why one of your PC's crashing and the other don't.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-11-08, 09:38:33
Reply #2

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also regarding 'changing ram modules', did you completely swap them out with a different set of ram sticks? Bad ram tends to be quite common.

2023-11-09, 12:07:53
Reply #3

adilcgartist

• Users
    • View Profile
I never use real-time denoising. However, 3D Max crashes when Corona's high-quality denoising occurs in the final render. If you suggest that the GPU is the issue, I would like to mention that I work with Stable Diffusion and Lumion without facing any GPU-related problems. I have also conducted a GPU stress test using Furmark, and everything seems fine. If you could advise me on additional ways to test my GPU, I would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-09, 12:17:46 by adilcgartist »

2023-11-09, 13:56:06
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I wasn't suggesting that your GPU might be faulty, i was thinking that there might be issues with drivers, missing dll's, or something like that, but if you have disabled real-time denoiser, than all this is probably irrelevant to the crashes. If you can provide minidumps of crash events, that might help to determine what's causing the issue. You can do this by opening a ticket at Chaos help portal: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new Don't forget to reference this topic though, so there would be no unnecessary duplication.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-11-09, 14:08:19
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you get crashes with Corona High Q denoising, it isn't GPU since that doesn't use the GPU at all :) What it DOES do is max out the CPU usage. If there are any cooling problems, it could cause those to show up. When you say Max crashes, is there an error message, is there a minidump, does the whole computer crash and not just Max?

Oh it can also use extra memory, and the more render elements there are being denoised, the more memory it needs. Are there lots of elements being denoised? What does RAM usage look like, is there a low RAM warning at all?

PS - I am confused now as the post is titled "IR rendering" but you can't use Corona High Q denoising in IR, soo.... is it final renders, or IR, when crashes occur?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-11-10, 05:25:27
Reply #6

adilcgartist

• Users
    • View Profile
Only Max crashes, and it never shows a RAM problem. When it crashes during denoising, I have to put the render on another PC with the same specs mentioned above, and it works fine. Yes, it crashes during IR and denoising too, but sometimes it doesn't crash. However, most of the time, it crashes.

I'm attaching the 3ds Max minidump.

2023-11-10, 12:56:49
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

shot in the dark, but could you please try to replace

C:\Program Files\Corona\Corona Renderer for 3ds Max\2022\LegionLib_Release.dll

by the same file of another, working node (or an extracted Corona 10.2 package).

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-11-10, 13:07:45
Reply #8

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry if this is unrelated, and I know you said you don't get any RAM usage warnings, but for me similar crashes sometimes occur at the cleaning up stage (after denoising a final image).

Are you sure Max crashes at the denoising level and not the cleaning up stage? That time is when the CXR file is saved (if you have autosave turned on) and if I have maxed out physical & virtual ram, it will probably crash.

During the same render, it will also give me unexpected error with options to continue, ignore or abort if I try to save a CXR file before the render finishes. So, effectively I cannot save a CXR file with denoised element, but only other image formats in such cases.

2023-11-13, 09:56:47
Reply #9

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have created a ticket on your behalf #172576.