Author Topic: Carona 9 DOF vs older versions  (Read 659 times)

2023-03-21, 20:00:19

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Has anyone noticed Corona 9 having a harder time cleaning up DOF compared to previous versions? Our scenes just don't clean
up the same as before, and the DOF areas are way more noisy.

Thanks for any imput.

2023-03-21, 22:57:58
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Nothing in Corona 9 would have slowed things down that I am aware of - relevant changes were just enabling DOF for fisheye cameras, where before that was not possible (not using a fisheye camera are you? :) ). The good news though is that DOF is planned to be made faster/better in 10 anyway:) https://trello.com/c/hzfNkV3P/204-optimizing-dof-highlights-computation
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-03-21, 22:59:38
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW if you have a scene that demonstrably is slower in 9 rather than in an earlier version (ie you can run it in the different Corona versions and there is a difference that can be seen in the time to render, rays/s, etc), we'd be interested in seeing that scene.

2023-03-24, 15:26:29
Reply #3

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Hey Tom,

If you want to set up a time to chat about this I would be open to talking. We are trying to figure out what is going on. We have used Corona in animation production for years, and not
find it very hard to clean up noise that used to not be issues before we upgraded. I know that sounds like not a lot of info, but we don't know why or what changed.

2023-03-24, 17:41:05
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I am not technical enough to be able to help in a call - and to be honest perhaps the best way forward here for investigation is to have an example scene, that we could run in Corona 8 and 9 and see if there was a measurable difference in speed related to DOF. You could send one in via ticket, which would be secure and safe and only used for testing this particular bug/issue using https://corona-renderer.com/link/contact-support . Best thing about that approach is the developers themselves could take a look, if something was found to be causing a marked slowdown in DOF (or at least we could check the DOF improvements coming in 10 remedy the situation ;) ). Thanks!