Author Topic: Slow Render  (Read 883 times)

2023-03-13, 14:08:03

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like an opinion on the slowness of a render, is it normal for a render of an external project to take 2 hours and 40 minutes with HDRI lighting, 2400 x 1817 resolution, 7% noise limit setting with hight quality filter, all default settings GI with Path Tracing and UHD Cache, the scene has a lot of grass and trees, about 7 million polygons, it's all optimized with textures of 1024 px and about five with 4k, only one displacement, I don't have a missing message memory it renders well, my doubt is about the time to be able to clean the scene, when I put 4% noise limit it goes up to 5 hours and 40 minutes, my desktop has the configuration of I7 5930 K, 32 Ram, Corona 9 updated and 3ds Max 2019, all vegetation created with chaos scatter.

2023-03-13, 14:30:24
Reply #1

philipbonum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hard to say if there could be anything wrong, but only judging by the rendertime vs CPU, I would say it sounds about right.
I'm on a Threadripper 3970X which cpubenchmark.net says is about 6 times faster, and I get anything from 30 minutes to 1,5 hours depending on the scene

2023-03-14, 14:17:30
Reply #2

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hard to say if there could be anything wrong, but only judging by the rendertime vs CPU, I would say it sounds about right.
I'm on a Threadripper 3970X which cpubenchmark.net says is about 6 times faster, and I get anything from 30 minutes to 1,5 hours depending on the scene

It's 3:33 minutes I think it's within the time frame, from the test I did here eliminating what else is making the render take longer is the high amount of grass with translucency, when the grass isn't there the time drops by half....

2023-03-14, 14:34:39
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's 3:33 minutes I think it's within the time frame, from the test I did here eliminating what else is making the render take longer is the high amount of grass with translucency, when the grass isn't there the time drops by half....

Is this your Corona benchmark time? I think it's pretty slow. The median time for 5930K is about 02:54 You may want to see what's slowing down your computer. Maybe it's some resource hungry program running in the background, maybe it's clogged OS. You're loosing at least 20% of performance and that's not something to sniff at.

Regarding the grass, i think it's expected that large amounts of it will slow down your render significantly. It also depends on how well its material is optimized. Sometimes people use refraction in vegetation shader and that could be real performance killer.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-17, 19:16:01
Reply #4

mvpetropolis

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Is this your Corona benchmark time? I think it's pretty slow. The median time for 5930K is about 02:54 You may want to see what's slowing down your computer. Maybe it's some resource hungry program running in the background, maybe it's clogged OS. You're loosing at least 20% of performance and that's not something to sniff at.

Regarding the grass, i think it's expected that large amounts of it will slow down your render significantly. It also depends on how well its material is optimized. Sometimes people use refraction in vegetation shader and that could be real performance killer.

So actually, my C drive where 3ds Max is installed is quite full, I think this could affect it a little, regarding the grass material I'm using it very simple, only translucency, I'm going to change the translucency and put only one color instead of one texture for time if the time drops a little...