Author Topic: wood floor texture...  (Read 388 times)

2023-03-10, 01:21:38

Snoopymorzsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello guys!
does anyone know the "best" workflow for creating wood floor texture which includes 6-10 separate diffuse/gloss/bump/ior maps? and can easily use with multimap and floor generator?
I always have a problem with creating wood floors, and not because I dont know how to create a decent looking wood material, because I dont have "the" material for it.
The client shows me something on a website, its a 320*240 jpg from a terrible angle, and thats it.
And Iam searching for something like that pattern for hours, maybe find something, and I cut it into smaller pieces, its just terrible and unpractical. (the end result looks good tho, but Iam sure this is not the clever way that Iam trying to "hide" the original diffuse maps quality with little tricks)

Is there some procedural wood texture generator somewhere which generates rough, bump, etc maps too?
Or is there a not too overcomplicated way to create decent looking wood floor from one cosmos wood material? Because they look really cool, but what to do with them, if they are different from what I need?

2023-03-10, 10:35:07
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

What is the end goal you want to achieve - have separate wood plank textures and use with Floor generator or a flooring texture?
It's mainly same type of work, but can vary depending on how you plan to use the textures to be created.

I think your best bet will be to use Substance Designer, it's a very well known and used software for material creation, especially procedural. It should have some ready made assets and library where you can start from.

Other than that, yes, it's a manual work, and it should be done manually if you want the ultimate quality - taking good photos of wood textures (floors, planks, veneers) and then generating a materials from it, and then baking out the maps.

From my practice, any wood material can be created using the sources available online. There are endless patterns available and they can be used to generate new ones, even with simply mixing them together.
I would also try to convince the client, if that is the case, that the pattern seen in one image is not the definitive look for the final wood material (if it's just a plank) - the same pattern will never be repeated and the overall look-and-feel needs to be achieved.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-03-11, 01:04:26
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Is there some procedural wood texture generator somewhere which generates rough, bump, etc maps too?

Yes, quite few, for example this Poliigon one. Of course, all these procedural generators will retain the procedural look no matter how good the generator is. Wood is simply too unique and organic material. But for many purposes, it can be enough.

https://www.blog.poliigon.com/blog/new-wood-floor-generators

Sourcing textures of particularly unique engineered floors with unique wood type cuts and unique coloring is lot more complex though.
I personally dislike Substance Designer, so I process my textures through set of Photoshop Actions. It's destructible process but equally fast as Substance, and I build the shader instead to be flexible. You can have single high-passed B&W texture only to act as shader node for both roughness, IOR/Specular, etc..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!