Author Topic: Mapping source for CBitmaps  (Read 1490 times)

2023-06-07, 18:11:24
Reply #15

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Triplanar completely overrides UVW mapping. It's fully exclusive with use of Mapping Source.
The UVW controls of Triplanar are useless if I want to use mesh UVWs.

I am lost why this is lost in this thread :- ). I mean Vray already has it anyway, what would be issue for Corona devs to just take it? Every other renderer including Unreal is using it in same way. In fact, Mapping control being done inside BitmapNode is rather unique to Max and Cinema perhaps, since they didn't use nodal network from get go.

Mapping source is not alternative to any existing Corona node, Tom is wrong about this. It's replacement for Bitmap node controls. A vastly superior one.

Yes, it's needed. BUMP + 1

+1

2023-06-08, 11:50:56
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I just found that multiple outputs is already in daily builds, so i made quick test with it. My findings are that all is working pretty well. The setup is quick and easy, especially if you work in 3ds Max 2024, UI is arguably less intuitive than it could be with dedicated mapping source node, but definitely not a deal breaker. One advantage of multiple outputs vs mapping source workflow is that former method lets you connect same textures to different materials and have different mapping on them - less nodes in the editor, easier to understand things. There are few disadvantages though, first, you lose correct material preview in viewport, second, mapping randomizer does not have controls over advanced bitmap features, like cropping, filtering, blurring, etc, and third, multiple otputs setup is taking slightly longer to setup, since you need to additionally lock from and to spinners in mapping randomizer, which is not an issue in 3ds Max 2024, but can be quite tedious in previous versions. The last issue could be easily resolved by Corona devs if they would add additional lock option in mapping randomizer. Anyway, i think it's pretty workable solution which i will be incorporating in my future materials.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-06-12, 22:10:22
Reply #17

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 Always annoying having to adjust parameters of multiple bitmaps for a PBR material.

I would add that it could be useful if this node could be applied as either an override mode OR a multiplier of sorts.
i.e. if i have a material set up with differing tiling settings WITHIN the bitmap nodes, this node should either override the bitmap option OR act as a multiplier and keep everything in the correct relationship if the bitmaps dont necessarily all have identical settings but you want to control all of them in one place.

2023-06-13, 12:34:52
Reply #18

philipbonum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 Always annoying having to adjust parameters of multiple bitmaps for a PBR material.

I would add that it could be useful if this node could be applied as either an override mode OR a multiplier of sorts.
i.e. if i have a material set up with differing tiling settings WITHIN the bitmap nodes, this node should either override the bitmap option OR act as a multiplier and keep everything in the correct relationship if the bitmaps dont necessarily all have identical settings but you want to control all of them in one place.

+1 to the possibility of it also acting as a multiplier of underlying bitmap nodes. Would save so much time