Author Topic: C4D Opacity Tag  (Read 25178 times)

2019-03-05, 11:33:27

matteolegna

• Users
    • View Profile
I'm working on an animation in C4D that involves some objects to fade in/out of the view. All those objects share the same material, but they need to fade in and out at different timings. It would come super handy to have a simple Corona tag that could override some material properties per object, like, in this case, opacity. It would be then easy to keyframe those properties per object. This is pretty much what the standard C4D Display tag does, but it doesn't work while rendering in Corona.

Currently, the only way to achieve this effect is by making as many copies of my material as the number of the objects I need to animate, and keyframing separately the opacities of those materials. Am I missing a simpler way of doing it?

Thanks!

2019-03-12, 19:02:59
Reply #1

shane_w

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be fantastic if the native Cinema Display tag worked with Corona.  There is no way I have found to fade an object out other than using a material.  This is super complex if you have multiple objects with multiple materials that you would like to fade out at different times.  This could require you to make hundreds of materials depending on you scene.

I remember it working in some of the early Alphas but was removed at some point.

-Shane

2019-07-17, 15:40:04
Reply #2

shane_w

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Bumping this as it would be a super helpful if Corona could support fading in the display tag.

-Shane

2019-07-19, 00:53:49
Reply #3

daveclive

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes please. This is a must in animation work/product viz.

Either support the display tag or add an opacity controller to the corona compositing tag

2019-07-19, 08:36:49
Reply #4

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-07-25, 16:40:03
Reply #5

everyEnd

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-07-17, 13:50:07
Reply #6

tarok95@gmail.com

• Users
    • View Profile
You can animate level tag under opacity of Corona material. You can even put a material to a null and it will apply to all objects inside that null and be animated.

2022-07-17, 14:09:43
Reply #7

tarok95@gmail.com

• Users
    • View Profile
But I didn't manage to make it a soft transition

2022-07-17, 17:17:14
Reply #8

tarok95@gmail.com

• Users
    • View Profile
SOLVED!
You create a gif or video of the alpha mask that has a soft transition you want. You time it on the video, when you want it to happen, and corona will render it.

2022-07-21, 19:38:28
Reply #9

Darkzeh

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I've just bumped into this thread and think I can contribute with a simple solution:

1 - In the material, go to the opacity channel and add a Display Color Shader (Surfaces > Display Color).
2 - Then select the object with the material applied, and on the attributes manager, on the basic tab, change the display color to "Custom".
3 - A color picker will appear, this is the property you want to change/animate to control the transparency, just like a black and white mask.

There you go, you can now change and animate the transparency on a "per-object" basis, instead of having to composite afterwards or animate the opacity color of the material itself.

You still have to do this process with every material that you want to be affected (good reminder if you have an object with multiple materials) and you'll loose the material preview in the unrendered viewport (It will be only objects turning from black to white), but it works like a charm.

Here's a project I did using this technique:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfrOGgtlxsa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2022-08-02, 16:08:22
Reply #10

hifi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is super helpful! Thanks for sharing!
Hey guys, I've just bumped into this thread and think I can contribute with a simple solution:

1 - In the material, go to the opacity channel and add a Display Color Shader (Surfaces > Display Color).
2 - Then select the object with the material applied, and on the attributes manager, on the basic tab, change the display color to "Custom".
3 - A color picker will appear, this is the property you want to change/animate to control the transparency, just like a black and white mask.

There you go, you can now change and animate the transparency on a "per-object" basis, instead of having to composite afterwards or animate the opacity color of the material itself.

You still have to do this process with every material that you want to be affected (good reminder if you have an object with multiple materials) and you'll loose the material preview in the unrendered viewport (It will be only objects turning from black to white), but it works like a charm.

Here's a project I did using this technique:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfrOGgtlxsa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2022-08-29, 20:24:20
Reply #11

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"You still have to do this process with every material that you want to be affected (good reminder if you have an object with multiple materials) and you'll loose the material preview in the unrendered viewport (It will be only objects turning from black to white), but it works like a charm."

sadly this is still the major issue with that.
so +1 for a tag transparency that works in 1 simple % setting on whole groups of objects, regardless of any material settings
THX
Stefan