Author Topic: Exporting from Archicad to 3DS  (Read 15044 times)

2018-03-20, 11:50:09

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

How do you usually export your models from Archicad to 3ds Max? I am dealing with a quite heavy .PLA document and the exported .3DS file doesn't work as it should into 3ds Max. Some faces seem to be coplanar in the perspective view (looks fine in ortographic view though, don't know why).  I also tried to export it in .FBX file, resulting in a much cleaner file but some elements change their possitions and the model goes crazy...

Any advice?

2018-03-22, 13:21:06
Reply #1

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nobody? Please, this is a bit urgent. I am dealing with an Archicad model from a client and we have a very tight deadline.

Thanks again.

2018-03-22, 13:30:17
Reply #2

white

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i use this plugin:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/mirza-link-manager

not sure, if you really "need" it...useful with updating in archicad and "live-link" to 3dmax (re-import updated file)

i never had problems with export as an obj. file (use layers-materials)...

2018-03-22, 13:32:50
Reply #3

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks White, I am going to give it a try.

2018-03-22, 13:49:47
Reply #4

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
Exporting models from Archicad is my standard daily routine.
The workflow that so far proved to be the most efficient is saving Archicad file as .obj.
Make sure you select everything as per attached image.

2018-03-22, 16:04:21
Reply #5

Peeter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you cexec, it works just fine. The exported file is very heavy in comparison with a .FBX file but the problem with FBX is that some elements look very distorted when importing it into 3ds max, I don't know why. Do you adjust any parameter when the OBJ dialog comes up in 3ds max?

Thanks a lot, I owe you one!

2018-11-17, 17:44:02
Reply #6

emresenoglu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So here's a nice workflow I've been using the past month or so. Twinmotion plugin for ArchiCAD allows you to export in FBX. Then once the file is linked in 3ds Max, all you have to do is save an updated file in ArchiCAD, and reload the FBX in 3ds. Make sure to check the "keep material assignment" boxes in 3ds to maintain your materials in Corona.
To install Twinmotion, you can download the demo file from their website, and install their product manager software. Then launch the software and you will see an option to install the ArchiCAD plugin. It works fine on demo and you won't need a license. Let me know if this works good for you - and attach a screenshot of the problem you have so I can see if it's something I've experienced as well.

2019-01-10, 23:06:50
Reply #7

bobolive

• Users
    • View Profile

Otherwise you can use this program to link your Archicad model into 3dsmax:
http://www.mirarkitektur.com/mirzasoftwares/?menu=presentationProduit&product=Mirza%20Link%20Manager
You get one mesh per material, and every materials applied in 3dsMax, as well as modifiers, will be reapplied  on update.