Author Topic: Render Legion and Corona Join Forces with Chaos Group  (Read 87870 times)

2017-08-27, 22:13:43
Reply #165

Askhab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We saw how fast was Corona bringing new cool features and how V-ray woke up and joined the competition. Now there will be no competition and this is saddest thing for both products

2017-08-27, 22:18:34
Reply #166

ThomasCoote

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have full trust in the Corona team, it's Choas Group I'm not so sure about. I may have missed this somewhere, but how much control do you guys retain with regards to pricing, decision making, and whether or not to even continue offering Corona as an alternative to Vray.

If the Chaos Group guys say to you in a year, we want to mothball Corona, what's your recourse? Is their say final?

2017-08-27, 22:34:14
Reply #167

sjmoir

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think that will be the case. Corona's code and architecture is quite modern and will carry it forward for a long time.

Vray is the flagship from Chaos, so it will always win.
Maybe it will be around, but the truth is that V-Ray is getting old. I don't know if you've seen Cars 3, it's a very nice movie and somewhat relevant to the discussion :)

Hmm, I actually feel you somehow spilled the beans here but few seems to have noticed.  :)

I noticed... I think Ondra and Vlado are up to something...

I love V-Ray and Corona, great products designed by clever teams, both have a track record of being a decent bunch of people. I think it's great news. Embrace change! Exciting times ahead, congratulations to all involved.

2017-08-27, 22:37:02
Reply #168

indexofrefraction

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think that will be the case. Corona's code and architecture is quite modern and will carry it forward for a long time.

Maybe it will be around, but the truth is that V-Ray is getting old. I don't know if you've seen Cars 3, it's a very nice movie and somewhat relevant to the discussion :)

Hmm, I actually feel you somehow spilled the beans here but few seems to have noticed.  :)

... yes, this is an interesting comment :) but what is it with cars 3? why is it relevant?
and why the heck doesnt the browser stay in the thread when you post something? :D

2017-08-28, 00:26:14
Reply #169

alessandromichelazzi

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • aluxado - render like photography
    • View Profile
    • aluxado
Come on guys, is like having a Ferrari and a Lamborghini in the same garage!

I saw this announcement from the first moment as a big advantage for everyone. As myself, I'm already a Corona and Vray on Modo user. We're just using the right tool for the job we've to do. 
And now Ondra and the team, as asked in Wien, with bigger budget and resources, please port Corona also for Modo!!! :))))
aluxado | render like photography

2017-08-28, 09:14:13
Reply #170

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile

... yes, this is an interesting comment :) but what is it with cars 3? why is it relevant?
and why the heck doesnt the browser stay in the thread when you post something? :D

Google says "At its root, Cars 3 is a story about getting old and figuring out how to accept that you can’t stay on top forever."

2017-08-28, 09:21:23
Reply #171

Lucutus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • a+m
Corona joining chaos group....even if i really try to feel happy abput it...it doesnt work at all.
I cant remember of a "fusion" like this in this industry that had a happy end.

In the first one or two years it might seem that the "benefits" from this "fusion" are great but on the long rung i fear that this was the first day of corona dying.

From the point of view of chaos group i can only see one reason for "investing" in corona....eliminating a rival.

greetz

Lucutus

2017-08-28, 10:13:15
Reply #172

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Free 3D Trees, Plants, 2 People
In our company i'm working with Vray for animations (big projects, with huge amount of objects, large areas) - because i need clean renders with some simplest solutions (interpolated GI but no splotches). For still frames like archiviz i'm using Corona 1.6. It's very good deal for us to have a choice at any moment of project what we have and which engine is better at this moment. For fast works and when we have only few hours to prepare something less realistic but with animated camera and objects - than we are using Lumion 7.5 . It's a choice. I want to have a choice. I hope Vray Team, which have one of the best support team around CG market (support for users is really fast, similar to Corona Team support for users), will give us a choice in next years and Corona will be still alive.
Greetings

2017-08-28, 10:26:08
Reply #173

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Let's face it, we are all just worried about falling into mainstream again :D

2017-08-28, 10:30:39
Reply #174

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Let's face it, we are all just worried about falling into mainstream again :D
yup, simply just face it.
:D

2017-08-28, 10:31:20
Reply #175

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Patience is a fine trait.

We all should look forward and imagine new interesting constellations. If we really could switch licenses, if I understood right, there could be the chance to test out e.g. Vray for Unreal Engine.
Maybe there would be a crossover and the corona scene works with Vray for Unreal as well. With the opportunity to have a straight transferpipeline with Epic´s tool Datasmith many older dreams could become true. It reminds me to the days when fiddeling around with the Duke Nukem 3D editor, but with stunning visual appearance.

Last week I met a woman, always talkin about beeing "open minded" until my gorge was rising, but this is what many people should be, a little bit more "open minded"!
It is more about interesting stuff to come in future, instead of just e.g. caustics etc.

2017-08-28, 10:45:56
Reply #176

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, there is a little bit too much drama here, but i understand that people can be feared by such a news.

Personnally, I'm worried of one thing : innovation.

I'm afraid that this brings us to just features being ported between the two engines. Some features will be ported the Vray or the corona way from one engine to the other. That speed up the process but that does not mean that it was implemented the best way. So plz, don't fall into the copy/paste workflow and try to keep the critical eye to always try to implements things the best way they can, by asking the community and not just implementing features that way coz that's how it worked in the other engine.

2017-08-28, 11:11:23
Reply #177

vhector

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So if you guys are working together now. Vlado has to bring snaps and cookies to the EUE too?

Off course, being negative has no use anyways. And in this case I have trust in both parties. Persons who have passion and works hard for their product. But indeed let's see what it brings in long therm.

2017-08-28, 11:43:27
Reply #178

viscorbel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If there's one company I always admired in this world of CG, it's Chaosgroup. They've always been stand up guys focused on delivering a great product and Vlado has my utmost respect as a developer and human being.
So for me, this is great news!

It's ridiculous to think that suddenly Corona will acquire all the 'problems' from Vray. It's much older, much more widely used and caters to a much larger audience. Of course it's settings have bloated over the years (largely by requests of users) and it's slower to update as it needs to be stable and backwards compatible all the time. Corona is a young engine in a narrow niche and now it has access to resources to grow into something great. I bet there's one or two things that Chaos's guys wish they've done differently over the years and that experience imho is worth a lot.

2017-08-28, 11:46:30
Reply #179

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wouldn't worry about innovation, because there's still plenty of competition around to keep our friends motivated.

Although Octane lacks many features compared with Corona and Vray and the lack of integration in Max makes life difficult, it still renders a lot faster on my setup than Vray-RT and I continue to use it quite a bit. Then there's FStorm, which I never tried but keep hearing good things about, as well as Redshift.