Author Topic: How would one apply snow to an entire scene?  (Read 2785 times)

2016-12-12, 10:56:06

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a scene i worked up a while ago and for festive shits and giggles id like to winter it up a little and add a layer of snow over everything.
Any ideas how i could accomplish this quickly? It has a hell of alot of scattered trees but its a low poly stylised scene so it isnt heavy at all.

Thanks
Jack

2016-12-12, 11:27:48
Reply #1

form

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Plus Form
I used snowflow plugin a long time ago, perhaps see if that can do what you require... 

2016-12-12, 13:12:24
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used snowflow plugin a long time ago, perhaps see if that can do what you require...

I did have a look at that and it seems you need to simulate and have a separate pflow for every scene object. its a pretty big scene unfortunately. Id love it if i could somehow use world space normals to mass apply a material ontop of a scene but thats probably complicated as hell!

2016-12-12, 13:42:45
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Create a snow material and plug it into CoronaLayeredMTL material as first material above base. Use clamped falloff map in towards/away mode world Z axis to as a blend amount of that snow layer. Now, simply plug every material in your scene as its base material, and then re-apply that blend material to source object where the original material was. Then grab another one of these "snow templates" and repeat for all materials in the scene. Should be easy to automate with Maxscript.

2016-12-12, 13:54:55
Reply #4

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist