5 (1.6%)
Scanline ;)
4 (1.3%)
Other - please specify
18 (5.6%)
Octane
9 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 302

Author Topic: Your OTHER renderer?  (Read 39602 times)

2014-01-14, 20:08:57
Reply #30

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
scanline>maxwell>mentalray>corona

I never bothered to try using Vray, cuz I didn't see any benefit of using it for the renderquality. The only thing Mental Ray lacks IMHO is rendertimes\setup for interiors and some buggy things I've encountered.

When trying Corona the simplicity (especially interior rendering) was phenomonal and the fast previews and tweaking while rendering are a great timesaver. I know MR is developing too, but they slowed it down dramatically when trying to integrate Iray when Nvidia jumped on the board.
Seeing the rapid bugfixes and the plans for the future, Corona is my no 1 renderer at the moment and sincerely hope texture-baking will be on the implementation list too :)

2014-01-14, 20:22:17
Reply #31

Dervish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think most people began to use vray because it was faster on their home desktops due to its speed, but the only let down with all render engines is the complexity and time needed to learn on having a decent output. Maybe I think corona is easier in this area, or possibly its because I have learned more about visualization then when I had begun. But i n general there is a lot of technical information that is required to learn about all aspects of visualisation that makes a great image.

2014-01-15, 06:28:09
Reply #32

Dom74

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually, working with Octane for 3DSMAX.

2014-01-18, 16:04:40
Reply #33

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ex Vray user checking in!

From the moment I started a render with Corona I knew there was no going back. It is SO nice to not have to worry about GI splotches, blurry lighting solutions / random HDRI dots e.t.c - problems that I faced with Vray on a daily basis (unless I brute forced everything = slow as hell).

One other absolutely amazing benefit of Corona is not worrying about glass. I do a lot of arch viz stuff where my clients want glass everywhere with complex lighting. Unless I did some serious fakery in Vray this was a real pain.

Kudos to the Corona team! Can't praise this renderer enough.

Vray who?

2014-03-25, 02:19:29
Reply #34

pepasystem

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have project now where Octane is unbeatable. Real time materials tweakin is awesome.
A lot of refractions/reflections, only sun light, high resolution of renders.
Clean render after 6 min on Gtx 780TI + 660.
But I've tried setup scene with Corona and after about 10 min of render is almost acceptable.
I think 15-20 min per frame and I'll by happy, but I can render on two i7 with Corona.
On third i7 with GTXs I'll use Octane.

Played also with. Mental Ray, iRay, FinalRender, Arnold, Maxwell, Vray, Arion and few others.
I like Mental Ray and Arnold.
But my favorite are Corona/Octane. :)

happy renderings :)

2014-07-04, 13:14:59
Reply #35

00Ghz

• Users
    • View Profile
Blender + Octane. I barely wait for the 2.5 update to come out :D

Ah yes and the new paper thing corona will have. That seemed just amazing.

2014-07-04, 21:56:43
Reply #36

numerobis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maxwell

2014-07-09, 15:06:34
Reply #37

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
V-Ray here, but I have rendered my last project with Corona and got honestly impressed (arch-viz) - Think it might be a keeper :D
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-09-11, 18:59:02
Reply #38

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Scanline is so good when I need to render out the UWV-s and the projection !  ;D
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2014-09-11, 19:01:25
Reply #39

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
you know there is a corona render element for that and when you go to actions and press render elements only, it is instant, right? ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-09-11, 19:02:12
Reply #40

Diablonadir

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Modo internal renderer. Something amazing but still no "really" photoreal

2014-09-11, 20:07:07
Reply #41

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Yeah ? I did not knows that...

I'll check. Thanx !
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2014-09-12, 16:57:04
Reply #42

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
you know there is a corona render element for that and when you go to actions and press render elements only, it is instant, right? ;)

You keep saying instant, but any time I use render elements (mainly just CMasking_ID and CTextMap) they take quite a few passes/a good few minutes to come out clean. What the hell have I been doing wrong then?

2014-09-12, 18:53:13
Reply #43

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Do you use "render elements only" or regular "render" when rendering those elements?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-09-12, 22:30:53
Reply #44

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Do you use "render elements only" or regular "render" when rendering those elements?

Doesn't matter. Both methods take some time to get a crisp image. I had thought that you need to change from progressive to bucket or something, but that didn't do the trick either.

**EDIT:**

Just tried it this morning. I had my beauty passes go for 50 passes, but switched elements to only 25 as 50 passes was taking too long. Using render elements only, my CMask_ID pass took just over 6 minutes. The 50 passes would have taken about 10-12. Is that normal speed for this? I mean, the pass looks fine after about 20 passes, but I don't like having to go in and switch up settings just to get a faster result when the process claims to be almost instant. Of course normally I would just setup all my passes to go at once, but in this instance it was a last minute thing.

Using a dual core Xeon E5-2630 with 16 Gigs of Ram for reference.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-15, 15:54:10 by steyin »