Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Photometric lights are much dimmer than corona lights?

(1/3) > >>

Jpjapers:
I have two lights. On the left is the corona light. on the right is a photometric light.
Both are using the same IES. Both are set to the same lumens and same colour temperature.

Why is the photometric light so much dimmer?
I need to be able to create a gobo projection effect so if theres a way i can do this with corona lights in absence of an actual projection slot on the corona light, that would be great.

Max 2022 - Corona 9.

pokoy:
It could be that Max internal physical light doesn't take into account emission vs area distribution. when using directionality. I also remember Zap mentioning that light units in physical lights are wrong in some situations but have no further details unfortunately... not sure Max lights and Corona lights can really be compared 1:1 with the same values.

Jpjapers:

--- Quote from: pokoy on 2023-03-31, 14:13:01 ---It could be that Max internal physical light doesn't take into account emission vs area distribution. when using directionality. I also remember Zap mentioning that light units in physical lights are wrong in some situations but have no further details unfortunately... not sure Max lights and Corona lights can really be compared 1:1 with the same values.

--- End quote ---

The corona light has no directionality applied as the directionality does not work when using an IES file. I agree though the photometric lighting units seem to be exhibiting some non-physical behaviour.
It would be SO much easier if corona lights finally had a projection map slot given its been a feature request for literally ten years at this point. I get that its fake, but its also impossible to achieve a gobo with a corona light even if you place a filter infront of it and use the correct IES for the lens of the light fixture.

They should be comparable though given that lumens is an absolute measure of light and theyre both using the same IES profile.

Basshunter:

--- Quote from: Jpjapers on 2023-03-31, 14:20:06 ---It would be SO much easier if corona lights finally had a projection map slot given its been a feature request for literally ten years at this point. I get that its fake, but its also impossible to achieve a gobo with a corona light even if you place a filter infront of it and use the correct IES for the lens of the light fixture.

--- End quote ---

As a person who works in the stage design field, I'd also wish Corona Lights had more features like the ability to use gobos and to simulate other types of stage lights out of the box. As you mentioned, the gobo feature has been requested many times for many years.

Jpjapers:
Those look pretty cool. The fact that Unreal has such good support for gobos and stage lighting in general makes me think that i should start working towards moving some of my work into Unreal.

Theres gobo/Projection map requests here fairly frequently dating back to 2013.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version